Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Se...@london.sema.slb.com> on 2003/11/26 12:27:21 UTC

Handling timers in recorded scripts

This is a follow-up to the discussion on frames and problems with placing
timers.

Not sure if this would help, but the code in CVS has an option for the proxy
recorder to generate separators - when there is a sufficient pause between
samples, the recorder can output a dummy simple controller to separate the
sets of samples. Further, the recorder can automatically add a response
assertion to the first sample in a set (it assumes that this contains the
main information from the response).

There may be other ways of detecting all the browser requests that
correspond to the original "click" by the user (e.g. perhaps the browser
keeps the connection open for all the requests associated with a particular
click?).

Either way, let's assume that we can detect the boundaries between sets of
samples.

Would it be useful to generate a simple controller for each set (i.e. each
user click), and save the samples as children of that? I think this would be
reasonably simple to do (as an option).

One could have further options to add other child elements to each
controller group, e.g. always add a timer.

In the case of a timer the value could even be derived from the detected
pause (particularly if the browaer uses a single connection for each sample
set).

S.

Re: Handling timers in recorded scripts

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.
Yes, just having the proxy generate a timer for each request would
resolve Paul's issue.

--
Salut,

Jordi.