Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Christian M. Cepel" <pu...@marshwiggle.org> on 2013/04/05 19:38:15 UTC

Flex SDK & Video access via CameraRoll/CameraUI & local video access

I'm not certain how things stand with Apache incubating Flex and Adobe
developing AIR.

I'm wondering if this is something on the radar as far as the SDK
development team goes, and if so, where it might stand, what we might
expect.  The below is specifically regarding iOS, but the non-existing API
methods of course

Specifically, the SDK lacks any way to

   - CameraRoll.browseForVideo() similar to CameraRoll.browseForImage()
   - Using the CameraUI to take a video creates a file in the system tmp
   that is not immediately available w/o first using FileIO to move it
   elsewhere.
   - Directly/simply accessing local video on the filesystem without
   involving a far more complex server/streaming model that is simply
   unnecessary (so far as I understand things)
   - Harvest frame BitmapData directly for display of thumbnails

I've, personally had no luck with using Video or StageVideo to simply
display a video file on the local file system that was -created/captured-
using the delegated system level functionality.  More directly stated...
Native Video format doesn't seem to be playable on the device that created
it (though this may just be my shortcomings as a developer).

So... I can create videos using the delegated system camera util, but not
play them.  I can create videos outside of my software using the system
camera which are then stored in the system CameraRoll, but I can in no ways
use the existing native functionality to browse and select those videos in
the way I can images.

Is any of this being addressed?

ANEs seem to be my only solution, but I've not found what I need so far and
I've absolutely no time to dedicate to learning a new technology.

Cheers.

--
// Christian M. Cepel - Programmer/Analyst, Sr., University of Missouri

*And the wrens have returned, and are nesting;*

*In the hollow of that oak, where his heart once had been.*

*And he lifts up his arms in a blessing, for being born again.*

Rich Mullins, The Color Green, A Liturgy, a Legacy, & a Ragamuffin Band

Re: Flex SDK & Video access via CameraRoll/CameraUI & local video access

Posted by Dasa Paddock <dp...@esri.com>.
Use: https://bugbase.adobe.com

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Christian M. Cepel" <pu...@marshwiggle.org>.
I'm absolutely at a loss to understand why these are not extremely high
priority.  If this is to be a valid technology for multimedia tablets and
handheld devices, should it not at the very least interact with native
resources and apps?  Can someone in the know tell us... is this on the
to-do list? Are the powers that be aware of the lack and the need and what
a large hole in an otherwise fantastic technology this represents?  Just
knowing that it was being worked on, or will be worked on would be
something.

For those of you in the same boat as I, Francis
Altomare<https://bitbucket.org/lostirc> has
been splendid about writing an ANE to try to address some of the lack, and
he's recently updated to try to include iPads (It wasn't a priority and
wasn't functioning before).  He keeps adding features and seems open to
updating as people need.  His project is hosted here:
https://bitbucket.org/lostirc/videoroll

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--