Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> on 2005/11/18 02:18:04 UTC

Looking for some work to do on Lenya

Hi

I'm currently unemployed, in addition to looking for a job, I'd be happy to
spend some of my spare time working on Lenya. If anybody wants to poke me
with something to do I'd be happy to have a look at it.

I've used lenya for a couple of australian companies, I'm familiar with
org.apache.lenya.ac and the StaticHTMLExporter (which seems to have
disappeared in current SVN??)

Michael Ralston

Re: Looking for some work to do on Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Ralston wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm currently unemployed, in addition to looking for a job, I'd be
>> happy to spend some of my spare time working on Lenya. If anybody
>> wants to poke me with something to do I'd be happy to have a look at it.
>>
>> I've used lenya for a couple of australian companies, I'm familiar
>> with org.apache.lenya.ac and the StaticHTMLExporter (which seems to
>> have disappeared in current SVN??)
>

> ... and is still in need of an appropriate replacement :)

so, why was it removed if there is no real alternative?

> A component for exporting a site to static HTML would be a nice addition
> to 1.4. Some issues which could be improved in comparison to 1.2:
>
> - configurability
> - reusability (command line?)
> - functionality (proper downloading of images, CSS, etc.)

agreed

Michi

Re: Forrest-Lenya / StaticHTMLExport for 1.4 (was Looking for some work to do on Lenya)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Michael Ralston wrote:
> On Friday 02 December 2005 09:38, Tim Williams wrote:
>
>>Isn't this what folks are trying to accomplish with the Forrest-Lenya
>>integration effort?  Given both are Cocoon apps, seems wasteful to try
>>and recreate what Forrest is already good at?
>

> I've had a quick google and found some mailing list discussion of
> forrest-lenya on the forrest-dev list. What is the current status of this
> work? Is there somewhere code can be found?

There has been very little work on the Lenya plugin, a skeleton plugin
can be found in the forrest whiteboard, see the
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Lenya plugin.

It would also be useful to look at the Daisy plugin, also in the Forrest
whiteboard). This is pretty complete (although still alpha). It is
currently used to publis the Cocoon docs from their Daisy instance. I'd
recomend using that as a base for work on Lenya publication.

> I don't know much about forrest, what are the goals of integrating forrest and
> lenya?

There are two distinct goals, one short term, one long term.

Short term is exactly what your subject says. To publish Lenya content
in multiple output formats.

Long term is to leverage Forrests handling of multiple input formats.

> Will this project fullfill all the requirements for StaticHTMLExport?

Yes (as far as I understand those requirements).

> Configurability, Reusability, Downloading css/images correctly?

Is there a question in there?

> Michi/Andreas, what do you think of this approach?

See the archives, it's always been supported just never done.

For my part I, once again, offer my support in doing this. I can't write
the code, it's not my itch. However, I have written the Daisy plugin and
all the Forrest extensions that were needed for it. I'd be more than
happy to help leverage this work in a Lenya plugin.

Ross

Forrest-Lenya / StaticHTMLExport for 1.4 (was Looking for some work to do on Lenya)

Posted by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au>.
On Friday 02 December 2005 09:38, Tim Williams wrote:

> Isn't this what folks are trying to accomplish with the Forrest-Lenya
> integration effort?  Given both are Cocoon apps, seems wasteful to try
> and recreate what Forrest is already good at?

I've had a quick google and found some mailing list discussion of
forrest-lenya on the forrest-dev list. What is the current status of this
work? Is there somewhere code can be found?

I don't know much about forrest, what are the goals of integrating forrest and
lenya? Will this project fullfill all the requirements for StaticHTMLExport?
Configurability, Reusability, Downloading css/images correctly?

Michi/Andreas, what do you think of this approach?

Michael

Re: Looking for some work to do on Lenya

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
>>Isn't this what folks are trying to accomplish with the Forrest-Lenya
>>integration effort?  Given both are Cocoon apps, seems wasteful to try
>>and recreate what Forrest is already good at?
>>--tim
>

> +1

Yep, and the Daisy plugin is getting reasonably mature now. All it takes
is for someone to adapt it to work with Lenya. I'm still willing to
guide someone in that, but I can't put my core time into it.

Ross

Re: Looking for some work to do on Lenya

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 01-12-2005 a las 17:38 -0500, Tim Williams escribió:
> On 11/18/05, Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > ... and is still in need of an appropriate replacement :)
> > > A component for exporting a site to static HTML would be a nice addition
> > > to 1.4. Some issues which could be improved in comparison to 1.2:
> > >
> > > - configurability
> > > - reusability (command line?)
> > > - functionality (proper downloading of images, CSS, etc.)
> >
> > Ok, so static export for 1.4 is a good candidate for something for me to work
> > on then, (In addition to taking a look at the automated tests)
> >
> > In 1.2 there seemed to be two ways to do static export right? There was the
> > publish task export, and there was also the ant task?
> >
> > I wasn't real fond of the ant task, how would a command line export be used in
> > production? It would probably run via the operating system scheduler, eg
> > cron? Anyway, not that much of an issue as long at the export class can be
> > called from two different use-cases.
> >
> > In regards to configuration, it's something that just needs to be configured
> > via a file somewhere, not via the web right?
> >
> > In addition to downloading images and processing the css properly, a problem I
> > found with the 1.2 exporter was that when a page published/deactivated the
> > pages which should have a navigation link appear/disappear were not updated.
> > This could be difficult to solve without making some assumptions about how
> > the site navigation has been configured.
> >
> > I'll get started on it and upload a patch to bugzilla when i have something :)
> >
> > Michael
>
> Isn't this what folks are trying to accomplish with the Forrest-Lenya
> integration effort?  Given both are Cocoon apps, seems wasteful to try
> and recreate what Forrest is already good at?
> --tim

+1

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Looking for some work to do on Lenya

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Abeit a little late, here are some thoughts I had on static HTML
exporting, for your consideration as you design this:

1) Make sure it works when running Lenya under SSL.  I have had great
difficulties with this using Lenya 1.2.4 under WebLogic behind an
SSL-enabled web server, particularly since my site's SSL certificate's
root CA is not in the default trust store.

2) If the new design will be doing an http(s) connection to Lenya to
generate each page, maybe we can reuse the output of the http(s)
connection that ProxyGenerator makes during the publishing step.  Or
at the very least, both the publishing (ProxyGenerator.java) and the
export (Wget.java) should be refactored to use the same http(s)
connection code, same trust store location, etc.

3) Do we really have to make an http(s) connection to generate the
static HTML pages at all?   I know that the publishing process uses an
http(s) connection so that the "live" site can be on a different
server, but for those creating static HTML pages this is generally not
the case (I assume).  Or can we call a Cocoon API to send a desired
URI through the pipelines and save the result to a file (after
rewriting the URL's, of course), without needing to make a socket
connection at all?

4)  I may be showing my ignorance on this one, but it seems like an
obvious question:  Most people want the static HTML files because they
will be using a web server to serve up the site, rather than having
Lenya serve it up.  In those cases, why do we need a "live" copy of
the site at all?  Maybe instead of an export process, the Publish step
should optionally save HTML instead of XML.  I know, I know, too much
code to change on this one.

Posted by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.