Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2014/04/03 00:40:10 UTC

packaging source into vagrant image?

I'm working on building a new vagrant image, since the last image we built was
back in August.  Our instructions [1] specify doing a git clone of the repo (and
I actually missed that and got tripped up by lack of source!).  But would it
make more sense to include the git repo within the machine image?  That'd make
it easier to get up and running (especially if you don't have git installed on
the host).  Code getting stale wouldn't be an issue since our Vagrant
instructions specify to run update.sh which includes a git pull.

The downside is that the allura source wouldn't be in a shared vagrant folder
for easy access with your favorite editor, it'd have to be edited with vim
inside the vagrant box.  But shared vagrant folders are pretty slow anyway, so
its probably better to recommend development via a different shared method
(vagrant supports NFS or rsync now).  See speed comparison at [2].

A different option would be to recommend downloading an official release instead
of git clone.

Yes?  No?

[1]
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Install%20and%20Run%20Allura%20-%20Vagrant/
[2] http://mitchellh.com/comparing-filesystem-performance-in-virtual-machines

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: packaging source into vagrant image?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
I did a session at ApacheCon on using Vagrant to manage a dev VM for open
source projects. I suggest that it is best to start from a plain vanilla
Linux distro and provision the VM from initial setup. This makes it easier
for the community to maintain (just scripts).

I recently published a screencast based on the presentation. This uses
shell scripting for provisioning but it would be better to use Chef or
Puppet (or other) to provide more potential for reuse in final deployment.

Thought I'd share here for feedback since you already do some of this. See
http://msopentech.com/blog/2014/04/23/using-virtual-machine-images-community-development-open-source-project/

If the team here are interested I'd be happy to help to this (actually I
tried  to use Allura as the demo but failed to get it working, happy to try
again now I font have an imminent deadline).

On 3 Apr 2014 13:36, "Dave Brondsema" <da...@brondsema.net> wrote:

https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Install%20and%20Run%20Allura%20-%20Vagrant/
> is now updated with a new vagrant box URL.  (No changes to how it works)
>

> On 4/3/14 2:43 PM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Yeah, we can put a script inside the image (e.g. like ~/start_allura).
 I like
> > that idea.
> >
> > I think for today I'll just keep everything as-is though.  Maybe during
PyCon
> > sprints I'll work on a script.
> >
> > On 4/3/14 10:42 AM, Cory Johns wrote:
> >> Ugh.  Of course update.sh won't be there if the repo is missing, but I
> >> meant having some sort of script in the VM image that handles checking
out
> >> the repo and running the setup steps (including update.sh).
 Alternatively,

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cory Johns <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <ww...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Bondarenko <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Van Steenburgh <tv...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, I would leave the shared folder setup as-is. I use this vagrant setup regularly for other projects and I’ve never noticed a performance penalty - it’s always felt as responsive as accessing local files. I would think people kind of expect this setup when using vagrant (if they’ve used it before anyway). And if we change it, we’ll only end up replacing the `git clone` instructions with nfs mount or rsync instructions.