Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Corey Kaiser <co...@altrec.com> on 2006/04/13 18:59:11 UTC

5.5.16, Too many open files on startup

Hi,

I have a server.xml with 37 virtual hosts defined, each with 1 root context
also defined in the same file (yes, not recommended, but not explicitly
disallowed either, right?).

Tomcat starts up fine and is solid with this config on 5.5.15, but not on
5.5.16.

After 14 loaded contexts on 5.5.16, I get "Too many open files" errors, and
exceptions like:
Apr 10, 2006 5:56:23 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig
processContextConfig
SEVERE: Missing default web.xml, using application web.xml only
conf/context.xml /usr/local/tomcat/conf/context.xml
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/local/tomcat/conf/context.xml (Too many
open files)

That context.xml is in place and contains default values.

I did notice that a change was made between 5.5.15 and 5.5.16 that may have
something to do with this (from the ChangeLog):
Deploy folders which don't have a WEB-INF, and return an error when a
context file does not contain a Context element (remm)

Not sure why folders without a WEB-INF are being deployed now, as I have
many folders that contain static content that I certainly don't want
deployed as webapps.

Also, I'm on Linux, and my ulimit is set to unlimited.

Any help greatly appreciated.
-corey

Re: Setting up to use 443

Posted by Dhaval Patel <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Couple of things:
1) Make sure you change 8443 to 443 on all places in server.xml (there are 2 places.)
2) Make sure that no other service running on 443 port. This way Tomcat can use that port.
3) What tomcat version you are running? Do you want to use APR?

Now I dont know which version of tomcat you are running. If you are running tomcat with version
5.5.x, you might have to enable/disable APR to use SSL. For more information, please visit my post
at : http://www.mail-archive.com/users%40tomcat.apache.org/msg02500.html

Steps described in the link above WORK 100%. However steps ONLY work with self-signed certificate.
It does not work with Versign/Thwatte Signed certificate. So just to keep that in mind.

Let me know how it goes.

Re: Setting up to use 443

Re: Setting up to use 443

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Re: Setting up to use 443

Posted by David Shaw <sh...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have root (or administrative) access and
on an WindowsXP system.

>I have troubled setting up server.xml to use port 443 - always report that
>"The page cannot be displayed" in IE.  8080 and 8443 works fine though.
>Using the same setting in server.xml and just changing the port to use 8443
>instead of 443, I can access using https://localhost:8443.  Any idea what I
>need to set in order to get 443 working?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David

Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer
mike.sabroff@cygnusb2b.com
920-568-8379

Re: Setting up to use 443

Posted by Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com>.

David Shaw wrote:
> I have troubled setting up server.xml to use port 443 - always report
> that "The page cannot be displayed" in IE.  8080 and 8443 works fine
> though.  Using the same setting in server.xml and just changing the
> port to use 8443 instead of 443, I can access using
> https://localhost:8443.  Any idea what I need to set in order to get
> 443 working?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer
mike.sabroff@cygnusb2b.com
920-568-8379

Re: Setting up to use 443

Posted by ma...@aim.com.
Refer to this tomcat documentation page for ssl configuration: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.0-doc/ssl-howto.html
Edit the server.xml accordingly. While editing the file, you have to correctly specify your realm. Then restart the tomcat.

Good luck.

--
Manivannan Palanichamy
http://geocities.com/manivannan57

Setting up to use 443

Re: 5.5.16, Too many open files on startup

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev lists <de...@hanik.com>.
the question is if you're ulimit really is unlimited. there are a few
settings, linux has 1024 for open files.

[tomcat@mail tomcat]$ ulimit
unlimited

[tomcat@mail tomcat]$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Filip