Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/11 09:31:40 UTC

Move Continuum to Attic?

Hi,

Since long months, we have no activity on the project (no commit, no mail
on dev@).
What do you think about a move of the project to Attic?

Emmanuel

Re: what is needed for a 1.4.1 release (was: Move Continuum to Attic?)

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, sounds good. I'll read through the thread again to see if I can't
figure out items I can tackle. The empty pass issue Louis mentioned should
have a patch already (I believe I submitted it).

Brent

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.
I'll be at that client site on Monday, i'll pull the manifest from the
files and let you know.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/REDBACK-248

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 17/04/2012, at 9:50 PM, Louis Smith wrote:

> I also agree on the 1.4.1GA.  I will make time to help on that - but I will
> need your guidance.

Great!

> From my memory, I recall that it will need (at least)
>
>   - the fixed version of redback for blank passwords to LDAP

Do you recall the issue # here?

Probably the first thing to try is to see if Redback 1.3 is suitable to drop in. Trunk is currently looking at 1.3-M2-SNAPSHOT, so it needs to be updated. There may be some incompatible changes (and certainly 1.4 is far more significant). If that becomes a problem, the other option is to release off the 1.3-Mx branch with the required changes.

>   - database update scripts for 1.3.x to 1.4.x ( I may have those in my
>   archive from when I did my upgrades to 1.4.x)

I'm sure that this just works automatically - I did it on a few occasions.

> I would very much prefer getting my clients up to the 1.4.x branch than
> converting them off the apache stack to mercurial/hudson.
>
> So... how do I get started?

Once the redback snapshot is sorted out and any fixes you're willing to integrate are in, it should be ready to go.

Re: Move Continuum to Attic?

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.
Brett:

Thanks for stepping in on this.  I agree that continuum does what (my)
clients need - and that the 1.4.x branch has more features (like reporting)
and enhancements (like suppressed passwords in logs) that would make it
more valuable for all the current customers.

I also agree on the 1.4.1GA.  I will make time to help on that - but I will
need your guidance.

>From my memory, I recall that it will need (at least)

   - the fixed version of redback for blank passwords to LDAP
   - database update scripts for 1.3.x to 1.4.x ( I may have those in my
   archive from when I did my upgrades to 1.4.x)

I would very much prefer getting my clients up to the 1.4.x branch than
converting them off the apache stack to mercurial/hudson.

So... how do I get started?  Got some docs for me to read on how to push a
release?

Looking forward to it (with only minor trepidation...)

Louis

Re: Move Continuum to Attic?

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all!  I'm reading through the information now - I can tell you -
the old man here is going to need guidance - but I'll do whatever I can on
this.  I LOVE continuum and don't want to see it die off.

Looking forward to working with the team on this one.

Louis

Re: Move Continuum to Attic?

Posted by Marica Tan <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Continuum is in an awkward spot, because it does enough for most people
> that use it, and not many opportunities for new people to get involved
> regularly.
>
> I think it's a good idea to complete a GA release of 1.4.1 - it has been
> stable for some time and has probably been stuck on folks wanting to do
> more rather than needing to for a release. I'm sure we still have three
> binding votes around should that effort be undertaken.

+1

I started doing some clean up in 1.4.1 bucket but wasn't able to follow
through. There are still 40 issues open so if any one can help to get the
1.4.1 GA out that will be great.

> Louis, are you able to help with that?
>
> Who else has some cycles?

I'll be happy to make some time to get the release out.

> I have occasionally spoken to people that are interested in doing more to
> move it forward, but haven't yet had the time - now is a good time to step
> forward if that is you lurking out there.
>
> If a release happens, then beyond that we still need to revisit the
> question of the Attic. It is able to sustain a user community when there is
> no new development expected and states that it will be non-impactful to
> users. However, if there are people interested in seeing further
> development, I'd prefer to see them given the chance to try that first. My
> impression of the current developers is that there may just be enough
> available to provide oversight, but not new development without some others
> getting involved.

Agree.

Marica

Re: Move Continuum to Attic?

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Continuum is in an awkward spot, because it does enough for most people
> that use it, and not many opportunities for new people to get involved
> regularly.
>
> I think it's a good idea to complete a GA release of 1.4.1 - it has been
> stable for some time and has probably been stuck on folks wanting to do
> more rather than needing to for a release. I'm sure we still have three
> binding votes around should that effort be undertaken.

> Louis, are you able to help with that?
>
> Who else has some cycles?

+1 to a GA release of 1.4.1. I'm not sure how much time I can spare but I'd
be happy to help push/drive the release out :)

> I have occasionally spoken to people that are interested in doing more to
> move it forward, but haven't yet had the time - now is a good time to step
> forward if that is you lurking out there.
>
> If a release happens, then beyond that we still need to revisit the
> question of the Attic. It is able to sustain a user community when there is
> no new development expected and states that it will be non-impactful to
> users. However, if there are people interested in seeing further
> development, I'd prefer to see them given the chance to try that first.

+1

Thanks,
Deng

Re: Move Continuum to Attic?