Posted to general@gump.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2007/04/06 14:41:46 UTC

audit integration

RAT is a tool that audits source and releases for apache policy
compliance. it was developed to help incubator releases to be checked
more quickly by IPMCers.

setting aside the fact that RAT is a long way from being feature
complete, this process isn't very efficient. issues are only picked up
at release time and a lot of time is wasted. incubating podlings are
frustrated by the time that it takes to get a release approved. IPMCers
are frustrated with time it takes to get releases fixed.

so, it would make more sense to run this process regularly and email
lists of issues to mailing lists.

rather than reinventing the apache continuous integration wheel it
struck me that this activity is closely related to gump and so it
possible for RAT to either hitch a ride or reuse some of the work that
gump's already done.

- robert

Re: audit integration

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> RAT is a tool that audits source and releases for apache policy
> compliance. it was developed to help incubator releases to be
> checked more quickly by IPMCers.

Just for the rest of the audience, Robert granted me commit access to
RAT a few months ago and I have written an Ant task for it.  And more
or less ignored RAT after that when other things became more pressing.

> setting aside the fact that RAT is a long way from being feature
> complete, this process isn't very efficient. issues are only picked
> up at release time and a lot of time is wasted. incubating podlings
> are frustrated by the time that it takes to get a release
> approved. IPMCers are frustrated with time it takes to get releases
> fixed.
>
> so, it would make more sense to run this process regularly and email
> lists of issues to mailing lists.
>
> rather than reinventing the apache continuous integration wheel it
> struck me that this activity is closely related to gump and so it
> possible for RAT to either hitch a ride or reuse some of the work
> that gump's already done.

Many of the incubator podlings are not built by Gump.  Partly because
they just don't care and in part because they choose to use Maven2
which Gump still doesn't suppport fully (or you could say Maven
doesn't support Gump's use case).

Setting this aside, it would probably be possible to add a RAT audit
to Gump with some Python foo.  Unfortunately we are pretty low on
active developers right now, so you would have to do much of the work
yourself.

Yes, I think adding the audit would make sense, I just can't commit to
helping too much.

Stefan