Posted to dev@devlake.apache.org by Klesh Wong <kl...@apache.org> on 2022/05/18 08:22:09 UTC

Newbie-ish questions from DevLake team

Hi, All,

   First, I would like to say "Thank you"  to all mentors, thank you for
accepting DevLake into Apache Incubator, especially William, who
actively guided us through the on-boarding process. It is my honor to
become a member of Apache org.

   As a new member, my team and I have many (newbie-ish) questions 😅 to
ask:

1. Would you like to recommend some documents for beginners like us.
2. Where can we download the podling report template?
3. How do we do Hotfix release?
4. Would it be ok for us to build a Business Edition for our customer only?
5. When do you think is the best time for our 1st ASF release? As early
as possible?
6. How to nominate committers? In
[private@devlake.apache.org](mailto:private@devlake.apache.org)? How
many +1 votes mean 'approved'? Should we have a public rule for
committer vote?
7. When is the deadline for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd podling reports? What
should be included in each report?
8. Apart from podling reports, what other reports should we submit to ASF?
9. Any suggestions for attracting external contributors?
10. Any suggestions for generating good first issues? The status quo is
that the relatively independent work is difficult to get started (e.g.
contributing a complete plugin), and the less difficult work is less
independent. So the main GFI is still the documentation translation
work, and we're thinking about several possible ways to generate ASF,
such as unit test, or splitting a complete plugin into several parts.
11. Is there difference between org contribution and individual contributor?
12. Apart from external contributor count, are there any other important
metrics for DevLake to achieve to become a TLP?

   Sorry for having so many questions at once, it would be nice if
@william could find some time and we could set up a online meeting for
discussion.

   Thanks

Klesh Wong

2022-05-18

Re: Newbie-ish questions from DevLake team

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Please see my comments below

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM Klesh Wong <kl...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
>    First, I would like to say "Thank you"  to all mentors, thank you for
> accepting DevLake into Apache Incubator, especially William, who
> actively guided us through the on-boarding process. It is my honor to
> become a member of Apache org.
>
>    As a new member, my team and I have many (newbie-ish) questions 😅 to
> ask:
>

> 1. Would you like to recommend some documents for beginners like us.
Please check out these documents
https://infra.apache.org/new-committers-guide.html
https://community.apache.org/committers/
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

> 2. Where can we download the podling report template?
You can check out the template
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/June2022

> 3. How do we do Hotfix release?
Please take a look at this release guide.
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

> 4. Would it be ok for us to build a Business Edition for our customer only?
It has nothing to do with the ASF release.

> 5. When do you think is the best time for our 1st ASF release? As early
> as possible?
ASAP, because we need to do some work to follow the ASF release policy.

> 6. How to nominate committers? In
> [private@devlake.apache.org](mailto:private@devlake.apache.org)? How
> many +1 votes mean 'approved'? Should we have a public rule for
> committer vote?
Please check out the guid below.
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

> 7. When is the deadline for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd podling reports? What
> should be included in each report?
The DDL is list the wiki of incubator
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/June2022

> 8. Apart from podling reports, what other reports should we submit to ASF?
No, you just need to send a podling report to IPMC.

Please check out documents in https://community.apache.org/.

> 10. Any suggestions for generating good first issues? The status quo is
> that the relatively independent work is difficult to get started (e.g.
> contributing a complete plugin), and the less difficult work is less
> independent. So the main GFI is still the documentation translation
> work, and we're thinking about several possible ways to generate ASF,
> such as unit test, or splitting a complete plugin into several parts.

You can take the ASF mentoring programme as an example.
https://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme.html

> 11. Is there difference between org contribution and individual contributor?

I  don't think there are many differences between those contributors  in ASF.

> 12. Apart from external contributor count, are there any other important
> metrics for DevLake to achieve to become a TLP?
We have a project maturity model that you can take a look at.
https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html