Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Daniel Smith <da...@pickasmith.com> on 2004/05/23 06:09:12 UTC

Message not displayed as HTML in listserv emails

Let me start off by saying that this is my first email to the list so I want
to say hello to all!

Onto the issue at hand, I am using James 2.2.0RC4, but I also had this issue
with RC3.  When sending a direct email of Content-Type text/html everything
displays properly.  However, when sending an HTML email to a listserv
(handled by the CommandListservProcessor mailet) the subscribers see all of
the following as the message:

------=_NextPart_000_00E2_01C44057.CF9D9540

hey

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=7><STRONG>hey</STRONG></FONT></DIV><br /> <br
/>--------------------------------------------------------------------- <br
/>To unsubscribe, e-mail: <a
href="mailto:test-unsubscribe@localhost">test-unsubscribe@localhost</a> <br
/>For additional commands, e-mail: <a
href="mailto:test-info@localhost">test-info@localhost</a></body</html>

------=_NextPart_000_00E2_01C44057.CF9D9540--

I even tried using a different email client (Outlook instead of Outlook
Express) to confirm it wasn't a settings issue.  Any ideas?

-Daniel

RE: Message not displayed as HTML in listserv emails

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
> > By blocking HTML, you're effectively encouraging these new 5-line
> > text-only spam messages that force me to read half a sentence
> > before destroying.
>
> Have you looked to see if a bayesian filter will catch them?

The only spam messages my bayesian filter is not able to catch are HTML coming from random spoofed addresses showing no text but a single image whose url is always different and probably points to a stolen computer.

All "these 5-line text-only spam messages" are easily catched and ghosted.

Vincenzo

RE: Message not displayed as HTML in listserv emails

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> It seems most of your issues regard commercial usage of HTML, not
> human usage.

My issues are regarding the rampant abuse of HTML e-mail.  Another example
would be that with a service like Yahoo! Groups, if you choose HTML, they
take advantage of it to send you all sorts of graphic spam, which you can
otherwise avoid by choosing text only.

> I'm vastly outnumbered by parents, grandparents, and aunts and
> uncles sending me HTML, and I have no hope in making this "go
> away" unless there are some powerful reasons.

Isn't going to happen.  The old saw about one's own garbage not stinking.
Yes, they probably object to all of the bad things when they happen to them,
but after all, *their* e-mail doesn't have any of those bad things, so why
should they stop?

> if you're running Outlook, then you're living in an email glass house

I installed their draconian security fix years ago when it first came out.

> At least with HTML spam, I can quickly decide if I'm not interested.

I'd just as soon not have to even see it at all, but it is harder for
anti-spam filters to address; unless they parse out the comments, implement
the character entities, and otherwise attept to play browser.

> By blocking HTML, you're effectively encouraging these new 5-line
> text-only spam messages that force me to read half a sentence
> before destroying.

Have you looked to see if a bayesian filter will catch them?

> > In rare cases, HTML e-mail is useful.  Very rare.

> Well that's just the silliest reason of all.

That wasn't a reason.  It was an acknowledgment that on occassion, HTML
e-mail can be useful.  Very rarely, though.

> So for those rare cases when HTML e-mail is useful, would you prefer
> PDF attachments?

Or an HTML attachment.

	--- Noel

Re: Message not displayed as HTML in listserv emails

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel,

It seems most of your issues regard commercial usage of HTML, not human
usage.  I'm vastly outnumbered by parents, grandparents, and aunts and
uncles sending me HTML, and I have no hope in making this "go away"
unless there are some powerful reasons.

To respond to your specific complaints:

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> HTML e-mails:
>
>  - often contain references to images and other resources that are
>    used to detect if the recipient has received the message.

The HTML capable email clients I've used (Netscape and Outlook express)
can block remote images.

>  - can contain scripts and other things (good clients should block)

Script vulnerability?... dude, if you're running Outlook, then you're
living in an email glass house and shouldn't be complaining about
other's email practices. :)

>  - are used by v<!-- -->i<!-- -->a<!-- -->g<!-- -->r<!-- -->a<!-- -->
>    spammers.  Actually, the above is a readable example.  HTML lends
>    itself to deliberate obfuscation.

There are all sorts of ways that spam is sent.  At least with HTML spam,
I can quickly decide if I'm not interested.

By blocking HTML, you're effectively encouraging these new 5-line
text-only spam messages that force me to read half a sentence
before destroying.

Ugh, I prefer 1,000 colorful publisher's clearing house junk mail, which
I can immediately throw away, over those faux handwritten envelopes,
forcing me to have to open it up before I throw it away.

>  - tend to be a bloated waste of space conveying no useful content
>    beyond the text.  If one wants to send a rich text document,
>    attach it.

At about $1 per GB hardrive space these days, I find it's hard to get
upset over size of data.

> In rare cases, HTML e-mail is useful.  Very rare.

Well that's just the silliest reason of all.  IMO web browsers and this
whole HTML thing have proved to be *moderately* successful and useful.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: Message not displayed as HTML in listserv emails

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I can somewhat understand not sending HTML to a mailing list,
> but what's really so wrong about HTML email?

HTML e-mails:

 - often contain references to images and other resources that are
   used to detect if the recipient has received the message.
 - can contain scripts and other things (good clients should block)
 - are used by v<!-- -->i<!-- -->a<!-- -->g<!-- -->r<!-- -->a<!-- -->
   spammers.  Actually, the above is a readable example.  HTML lends
   itself to deliberate obfuscation.
 - tend to be a bloated waste of space conveying no useful content
   beyond the text.  If one wants to send a rich text document,
   attach it.
 - etc.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Totally unrelated to the problem: many of us (especially those who have been
> around since before HTML) view HTML e-mail as something to be rejected.  I
> have often considered writing a Matcher to reject HTML messages sent to me,
> with a notice that tells people if they want to communicate with me, they
> should turn off HTML.

I can somewhat understand not sending HTML to a mailing list, but what's
really so wrong about HTML email?

--
Serge Knystautas
President
Lokitech >>> software . strategy . design >> http://www.lokitech.com
p. 301.656.5501
e. sergek@lokitech.com

RE: Message not displayed as HTML in listserv emails

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> When sending a direct email of Content-Type text/html everything
> displays properly.

> when sending an HTML email to a listserv (handled by the
> CommandListservProcessor mailet) the subscribers see all
> of the following as the message:

Seems like a bug that might need looking into.

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
A fix for this seems to be to add:
                message.saveChanges();

immediately after both calls:
                message.setContent(multipart);

in the service method of CommandListservFooter.

I'm not a javamail expert, but from the javadocs it looks like you should
call this whenever the message content is changed.

Could someone with commit privileges patch and commit :)

Daniel.

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.