Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Adrian Chong <ac...@csis.hku.hk> on 2002/01/17 12:02:45 UTC

remote access via command line tool

Hi,

If I run the command line tool dbxml or dbxmladmin to access the dbxml
(version 1.0b4) server locally, everything is ok so far. But if I access
the dbxml server remotely as in the user guide, for example,

dbxml lc -c /db -u http://my_host:4080

I will give me an error:

ERROR: A connection to the Database instance 'db' could not be created.
Error: Invalid URL: http://my_host:4080/NamingService.

I have tried xmlindice://my_host:4080 and xmldb:dbxml://my_host:4080,
theyl do not work. I also tried modifying config/system.xml to uncomment
the line with "http://localhost:4080/NamingService", it won't work too.

Any idea? How to fix it? Many thanks.

--Adrian

Re: remote access via command line tool

Posted by Mohan Bethur <mb...@netscape.com>.
I still have problems, it may be something to do with CORBA IOR, when I parsed my
db_bootstrap.ior, it gave my IP address and port number (10.169.76.15:32953). This
is the stack trace I get.bu putting some debug statements in AddCollection.java and
DatabaseImpl.java

Can anyone please help me.

mohit[mbethur]:/u/mbethur/tools/xml-xindice/ xindiceadmin ac -c
xindice://10.169.76.15:4080/db -n root
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db._DatabaseStub:com.sun.CORBA.idl.GenericCORBAClientSC@1a8902

org.omg.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT:   minor code: 0  completed: No
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(RuntimeException.java:47)
        at org.omg.CORBA.SystemException.<init>(SystemException.java:49)
        at org.omg.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT.<init>(NO_IMPLEMENT.java:69)
        at org.omg.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT.<init>(NO_IMPLEMENT.java:47)
        at org.omg.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT.<init>(NO_IMPLEMENT.java:38)
        at org.omg.CORBA.portable.Delegate.releaseReply(Delegate.java:328)
        at org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._releaseReply(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db._DatabaseStub.getCollection(Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.getCollection(DatabaseImpl.java:223)
        at org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:198)
        at org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:158)
        at
org.apache.xindice.tools.command.AddCollection.execute(AddCollection.java:104)
        at org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLTools.execute(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLTools.process(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLAdminTools.main(XMLAdminTools.java:89)
org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException:
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException.<init>(XMLDBException.java:85)
        at
org.apache.xindice.core.FaultCodes.createXMLDBException(FaultCodes.java:247)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.getCollection(DatabaseImpl.java:238)
        at org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:198)
        at org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:158)
        at
org.apache.xindice.tools.command.AddCollection.execute(AddCollection.java:104)
        at org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLTools.execute(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLTools.process(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLAdminTools.main(XMLAdminTools.java:89)
ERROR :

Re: Re[2]: remote access via command line tool

Posted by Kurt Ward <ku...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jimmy,

I have been working on something similar. What I have
done is modify the XML-RPC interface again.
Essentially I have implemented an accept/deny by IP
configuration (similar to MySQL) on the server.  Maybe
this can be worked into the XML-RPC interface if you
guys think it would be of value.

Kurt

Jimmy Little  wrote: >> Philipp Chudinov wrote:>> >
does this mean that anybdoy can do anything with my
data if (he) knows> my>> > machine name && Xindice
port?> From: "Adrian Chong" > well, it is not. but how
to solve this problem yet it is not implemented?I am
struggling with this same issue and would like
feedback on thefollowing 'solution.' Note that this
solution will only apply underlimited circumstances.1
- Access to Xindice will be programmatic (in my case
via XML-RPC)2 - Set up the programs that accesses
Xindice on a server available toall users. (Server
PHP)3 - Set up Xindice on a server that is only
available to the serverwith the programs. (Server
X)How to do this? Use a 192.168.x.x address for Server
X while givingServer PHP a true web presence (running
Apache, etc.) Server PHP willrequire two networking
cards, one to access the Internet, and anotherto
access the internal network.Any feedback on this setup
appreciated,Jimmy
Little828-835-8350mailto:Jimmy-Little@mindspring.com"Government,
in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its
worststate, an intolerable one..."--Thomas Paine

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Re[2]: remote access via command line tool

Posted by Jimmy Little <Ji...@mindspring.com>.

Posted by Philipp Chudinov <mo...@basko.ru>.

Posted by Adrian Chong <ac...@csis.hku.hk>.

Posted by Philipp Chudinov <mo...@basko.ru>.