Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ck...@onebox.com on 2003/06/23 18:56:00 UTC

Getting servlet to run

Environment:
Windows XP, Tomcat 4.1.24, Sun JVM 1.4.1_02-b06

I managed to fix my problem running JSPs in an application directory I created. Now I'm moving on to getting a servlet to run. I have copied and compiled two servlets from different books. One I put in "D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes". The second one, which is part of a package called "chapter2" I put in "D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\apress\WEB-INF\classes\chapter2". Both compiled without complaint. I stopped and re-started Tomcat and pointed my browser at each in turn and got these messages:

"The requested resource (/servlet/HelloWorld) is not available."

"The requested resource (/apress/servlet/chapter2.login) is not available."

The log file doesn't show anything suggesting a problem. Do all rank Tomcat beginners have this much trouble? If so, how did it get to be so popular? Can anyone suggest an approach? Thanks.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email

Re: Getting servlet to run

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
I suggest that you check out the Application Developer's Guide at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

Your problem stems from the fact that the majority of text books assume the
servlet invoker is switched on, but the servlet invoker is evil so in recent
versions of Tomcat it is switched off by default. :)

This means you must map your servlets in your web.xml file, see the FAQ for
more details:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#invoker

Jason Bainbridge
http://jblinux.org