Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Greg Baumgartel <gb...@qmail.qwest.net> on 2003/01/09 00:47:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule

. . . but which rule?

Apache 1.3.26 / Solaris

I have a subdirectory under the webserver that I want to be able to allow
directory indexing on.  I"ve tried putting a

<Directory /directory>  # relative to DocumentRoot
     Options +Indexes
     AllowOverride Indexes
</Directory>

in the httpd.conf.  I've also tried with relative to the filesystem root in
the Directory directive.  Yet I still cannot get an index, and the
Directory index forbidden by rule in the error log.

As this is a production server, I can't tinker too much in the httpd.conf
or bring it up and down a lot in order to try other configuration changes.
  Is there any way to get it to be helpful and tell me WHICH rule in
httpd.conf (or elsewhere) is blocking the index?  It's a big httpd.conf -
57KB, which makes it even harder to tinker with.  Any other suggestions to
let it index this directory and subdirectories?

Funny thing is, I know indexing works on another subdirectory that has an
entry in httpd.conf just like the one above, but it reads

<Directory /distributions>
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride Indexes
</Directory>

'distributions' is actually a symlink out of the DocumentRoot (one of them,
at least).

Thanks....

Greg Baumgartel                                         (303) 226-9941
Qwest Information Technologies
Lead SW Development Engineer                  gbaumgar@qmail.qwest.net