Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org> on 2014/01/17 02:03:06 UTC

Cryptography audit for Twill

Hi,

I am trying to complete the IP clearance for Twill and I am slightly
confused by the cryptography part of that (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TWILL-28).

Twill does not explicitly contain cryptographic code, except that:

   - It uses java.util.UUID.randomUUID() to generate random ids. This
   method uses "a cryptographically strong pseudo random number generator."
   Since it is part of Java, I assume that is nothing to worry about.
   - It uses Hadoop, which uses encryption. The only thing twill does here
   is store delegation tokens on HDFS and read them back.

So is there anything to do for this? Do I need to add Twill to the export
list at http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ ? Do we need to include a
crypto notice in our README? It is not clear to me after reading the
document at http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

Thanks for your help
-Andreas.

Re: Cryptography audit for Twill

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Andreas,

On Jan 20, 2014, at 10:39 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> If anybody reads this, do you have advice for us?
> Thanks -Andreas.
>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to complete the IP clearance for Twill and I am slightly confused by the cryptography part of that (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TWILL-28).
>
> Twill does not explicitly contain cryptographic code, except that:
> It uses java.util.UUID.randomUUID() to generate random ids. This method uses "a cryptographically strong pseudo random number generator." Since it is part of Java, I assume that is nothing to worry about.
> It uses Hadoop, which uses encryption. The only thing twill does here is store delegation tokens on HDFS and read them back.
> So is there anything to do for this? Do I need to add Twill to the export list at http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ ?

I looked at the page: http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/

It looks like when there is a dependency like this then there is a reference.

E.G. Apache Solr on Apache Tika ...

Apache Solr	development	5D002	ASF
1.4 and later	5D002	ASF, Apache Tika
Apache Tika	development	5D002	ASF
0.2-incubating and later	5D002	ASF, Bouncy Castle, Bouncy Castle

I will note that this file has a number of TLPs listed in the Incubator or as subprojects. There is an update missing.

> Do we need to include a crypto notice in our README? It is not clear to me after reading the document at http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

I looked at Accumulo and they include one in their README.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
When considering adding features based on cryptography for Apache HBase I
posted a query on this mailing list and received an "IANAL" answer, which
was unfortunately unhelpful. We can forgive Twill for taking a maybe overly
conservative position given what we have here is another volunteered
personal opinion. I share that view but my opinion is worthless because I
am neither a lawyer, nor one representing the Foundation. The material on
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html carries this ominous disclaimer:

"Note - the regulations covering US export control laws for encryption were
changed on June 25th 2010. This page describes the previous process. Until
an updated version has been drawn up and approved by the Apache VP Legal
Affairs, projects should check with the legal-discuss list before
proceeding."

It's fair to say at this point the Foundation does not provide effective
guidance for use of cryptographic functions, or even what that means.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)