Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Dave Lester <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/24 21:06:11 UTC

MesosCon Program Committee 4/24 Meeting Notes

Below are notes I took during today's
MesosCon<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon>Program
Committee meeting. In an effort to be transparent about the event,
I'll share these each week. We'll also periodically ask the community for
feedback, like yesterday's email regarding a keynote speaker, and a future
vote on session topics once our CFP is closed.

The program committee was originally established by myself and Chris
Aniszczyk, and others who approached me with an interest in the event. I
invited other members of the Mesos PMC to join, and Vinod Kone and Benjamin
Hindman volunteered.

Should there be interest from additional community members, we have space
for one or two more folks to join the program committee -- please reach out
to me directly. We're looking for commitment to attending our weekly
meeting, and help with the program and sponsorship.

Looking forward to making MesosCon a success!  I encourage you to
register<https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1533330>,
contact us regarding
sponsorship<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/sponsor/become-a-sponsor>,
and submit a talk
proposal<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/program/cfp>
.

Dave
MesosCon 2014 Chair

___

4/24/2014

*Attendance:*
Present: Vinod Kone, Benjamin Hindman, Chris Aniszczyk, Dave Lester
Absent: Matt Trifiro, Timothy St Clair

*Announcements/Press:*
MesosCon was announced via the Apache Mesos mailing list and Twitter last
Thursday 4/17.

Linux Foundation helped promote the event this week, with a mention in
their LinuxCon press release:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/linux-foundation-announces-keynote-speaker-110200643.html

We aim to blog about MesosCon on the Apache site once a few parts of the
program (incl keynotes) are nailed down, and after confirming additional
sponsors.

*Sponsorship update:*
Twitter and Mesosphere are confirmed as platinum sponsors. Two additional
sponsors are currently maybes, and we are actively reaching out to users
and potential sponsors to increase this number in the coming weeks.

We've formalized a sponsorship
prospectus<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/sponsor/become-a-sponsor>
that
includes a gold level ($5k) in addition to the original platinum level
($10k). We hope adding a lower sponsorship tier will encourage greater
sponsor participation.

Interested sponsors can reach out to Dave Lester (dlester@twitter.com) or
Angela Brown (angela@linuxfoundation.org) for further information.

Committee members will reach out to specific sponsors who they have
relevant connections to, and report back next week regarding interest.

*Event Program and Format:*
As advertised, the event will include a morning workshop, keynote, and
afternoon talks.

The program committee discussed the morning workshop, which will be at an
introductory level on getting started with Mesos, and decided it makes
sense to run something in parallel to that workshop for more-advanced
users. That may be a formal workshop, or an unconference format for devs to
hack on particular things.

Dave will follow-up with the Linux Foundation regarding potential space at
the venue for a concurrent morning session and report back at next week's
meeting.

Afternoon talks will likely be 20 minutes long to accommodate a larger
number of them in the afternoon and provide a strong overview of the
project and its ecosystem. We'll investigate the possibility of an evening
event to facilitate follow-up conversations (perhaps BOF, lightning talks,
or a party), but the feasibility of that will depend on our success in
attracting sponsors.

*Keynote Speakers:*
Yesterday we created a Google Form for the community to share ideas for
keynote speakers. By next week, the program would like to make a
preliminary decision on the top (or set of top) speakers to invite.

The committee has also invite Benjamin Hindman, Mesos PMC Chair, to give a
"State of Mesos" keynote, covering its past, present, and future.

*Next committee meeting: *5/1