Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Sherman <ms...@projectile.ca> on 2010/01/29 21:27:59 UTC

The ninjas have left the building (was Re: [Sare-users] painting everybody in Taiwan with the same brush)

Matija Nalis wrote:

> Also note that SARE Ninjas are long gone -  see main page
> http://www.rulesemporium.com/. So nobody could fix those rules even if they
> thought it was a good idea (and at least some people are not convinced it is
> a bad idea); and even if the rules could be fixed, still at least half the
> world would *never* update them to new versions. So you would still get
> blocked, only perhaps a little less. That is just a fact (based on extensive
> mailadmin experience), so trust me on that.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that they'd officially
thrown in the towel (though it's pretty clear to anyone who watches
update traffic on the rule sets).

Are there any other resources out there for reasonably useful and
actively maintained spamassassin rulesets that publish an sa-update channel?

- Marc

Re: The ninjas have left the building (was Re: [Sare-users] painting everybody in Taiwan with the same brush)

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>>> Also note that SARE Ninjas are long gone -  see main page
>>> http://www.rulesemporium.com/. So nobody could fix those rules even if they
>>> thought it was a good idea (and at least some people are not convinced it is
>>> a bad idea); and even if the rules could be fixed, still at least half the
>>> world would *never* update them to new versions. So you would still get
>>> blocked, only perhaps a little less. That is just a fact (based on extensive
>>> mailadmin experience), so trust me on that.

Please only talk for yourselve, and do not make assumtptions that you
cannot make.

They SA Y2010 'bug' was also inside SARE and we fixed it there also.
Same for some other rules, but we only fix the really really needed
things.

>> actively maintained spamassassin rulesets that publish an sa-update
>> channel?

> As I understand it, as soon as rules are published, some of the
> senders of unsolicited messages immediately change their behavior
> to defeat or bypass the rules, so publishing them is somewhat
> counterproductive.

Correct. And the assumtion SARE is dead is wrong also. There are many
people from SARE submitting rules in the SA update channels. And indeed as
soon as rules are published they become worthless for many of us.

And thats the main reason some of the SARE people do make rules, for a
smaller audience, and not publish them on the public SARE page anymore.

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: The ninjas have left the building (was Re: [Sare-users] painting everybody in Taiwan with the same brush)

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:27:59 PM, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Matija Nalis wrote:
>>
>> Also note that SARE Ninjas are long gone -  see main page
>> http://www.rulesemporium.com/. So nobody could fix those rules even if they
>> thought it was a good idea (and at least some people are not convinced it is
>> a bad idea); and even if the rules could be fixed, still at least half the
>> world would *never* update them to new versions. So you would still get
>> blocked, only perhaps a little less. That is just a fact (based on extensive
>> mailadmin experience), so trust me on that.

> Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that they'd officially
> thrown in the towel (though it's pretty clear to anyone who watches
> update traffic on the rule sets).

> Are there any other resources out there for reasonably useful and
> actively maintained spamassassin rulesets that publish an sa-update channel?

> - Marc

As I understand it, as soon as rules are published, some of the
senders of unsolicited messages immediately change their behavior
to defeat or bypass the rules, so publishing them is somewhat
counterproductive.

Cheers,

Jeff C.
--