Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2003/09/17 03:45:46 UTC

[HIVEMIND] Examples Please?

Does anyone have a good example application (very simple, please) for
HiveMind?  I would like to start using it and I just need a little nudge to
get me going.  Like, how do I obtain a handle to a Registry object in the
first place to set it as the default?  And, how many of these hivemind.xml
files am I going to have to have floating around?  It appears as if I need
one for each package in my project, but only one can be in my jar file
located at /META-INF/hivemind.xml?  Is this true?  If so, packaging an
application could turn out to be rather tedious if I do indeed plan to
separate things out into these small, testable modules.  I may be
misunderstanding the documentation, though.  Anyway, if anyone has a good
starter application (maybe even with the entire project set up with an Ant
build script), I would be very appreciative.  I sure wish I would have known
about hivemind before.  It looks as if it does everything (and more) that my
little "business object factory" framework
(http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-2003/jw-0718-factory.html) does.

Re: [HIVEMIND] Examples Please?

Posted by ja...@carmanconsulting.com.
Well, I would love to get involved.  This project sounds awesome!  Is there
a good UML diagram or an introduction into the architecture of HiveMind yet?
I'll try to download the source from cvs and start poking around to see what
I can come up with.  I plan to give a talk to our local users group
(Cincinnati Java Users Group www.cinjug.org) maybe next month about
HiveMind, so I really would like to get familiar with it.  Thanks again for
your prompt replies (even though you weren't quite awake when you sent
them).  :-)

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
So I wasn't awake ...

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
So I wasn't awake ...

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
[...]

ClassLoader.getTResourceInFolder("/META-INF/hivemind") ... but there isn't.  Instead, we have
"external descriptors", a directory under WebLogic where we store the extra class loaders; our
servlet's registry bootstrap code processes all the XML files there as well as those found normally.
It works well, but is not quite ideal for a clustered EAR deployment; we'll want to graft something
together for that soon. Possibly, our build system will write a catalog of these external
descriptors into a central file.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry
http://javatapestry.blogspot.com

I think an xdoclet module for HiveMind would be WONDERFUL!  That way, you
could describe services, extension-points, interceptors, etc. in the JavaDoc
comments of your class and have your module descriptor file generated for
you automagically!  IMHO, anytime a descriptor file like that needs to be
created, there should be an XDoclet module for it.

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.
Realise now that the source for the xdoclet module didn't make it into the
email ... Will forward it tomorrow if anyone is interested as the zip is
left at work ...

Johan

--
you too?

Re: [HIVEMIND] Examples Please?

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.

--
you too?

Re: [HIVEMIND] Examples Please?

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.
Yeap it does ... As i said, just a first go at it, but if you point it to
a bunch of classes, it will attempt to extract the services and extensions
contained in them and bundle that into a module dd ... It needs a lot of
work - no validation to ensure you are extending a already defined service
is done yet for example ...

Johan

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:16:43 -0400, <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> I would imagine.  XDoclet can generate one ejb-jar.xml file from many EJB
> implementation bean sources, so I don't see why it couldn't.

you too?

Re: [HIVEMIND] Examples Please?

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.
Yeap it does ... As i said, just a first go at it, but if you point it to
a bunch of classes, it will attempt to extract the services and extensions
contained in them and bundle that into a module dd ... It needs a lot of
work - no validation to ensure you are extending a already defined service
is done yet for example ...

Johan

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:16:43 -0400, <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> I would imagine.  XDoclet can generate one ejb-jar.xml file from many EJB
> implementation bean sources, so I don't see why it couldn't.

you too?

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.
Not sure if people have had enough of examples, but attached is a zip file
with a simple (and probably buggy) xdoclet module for hivemind (with
source) + the calculator example previously discussed implemented using
it.

Didn't want to inclde all the dependant jars but they are:

- commons-collections-2.1.jar
- commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
- xjavadoc-1.0.jar
- xdoclet-1.2b4.jar

The ant target 'jar' will build all the necessary jars in ./release

Mainly wondering what the interest in a hivemind xdoclet module would be?

Johan

--
you too?

Re: [HIVEMIND] Examples Please?

Posted by ja...@carmanconsulting.com.
I would love to write the article!  When do they want it?
Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.