Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Shivram Krishnan <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/14 22:00:36 UTC

Operators Blacklist Survey

Hi,

I am a graduate student at the University of Southern California and am
currently researching on the impact of false positives in blacklists. I am
aware that spamassassin uses blacklists in its rule based system to stop
spam messages. But since it is a rule based system, even if there are false
positives in blacklists, there may be other rules which can influence
spamassassin to mark it correctly. There are several other blacklists which
are used to stop different attacks (eg phishing, DDoS, malware hosting
etc). I was wondering if operators in general use external
blacklists(uribl, spamhaus, spamcop etc) in the form of rule based system
(like spamassassin) or use it outrightly to block all IPs listed in them.

It will be great if you can take this four question survey, which can help
me understand the usage of blacklists by operators. The survey consists of
these questions -
1) The size of the network(s) you manage(in terms of customers)
2) List of external blacklists used.
3) How these blacklists are used? whether in a rule based system or
outrightly blocked or both
4) If external blacklists are used in a non-rule based system, how do you
overcome false positives?

The link to the survey is below -

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe-hgYD-ifkFMyPHrqYL0b7jAkbWjOKiAQjh-oI4mYeiVQg2g/viewform

Shivram

Re: Operators Blacklist Survey

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
Re. 1: undisclosed
Re. 2: null
Re. 3: not applicable
Re. 4: not applicable

We do not use external blacklists to filter spam.

We use own method, with a ham/spam ratio of 98/02. Spam is not delivered: we reject it upfront. Our business clients are very happy.

No, we are not protonmail. Protonmail delivers spam that we would have rejected upfront.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 08/15/2017 12:46 PM, Shivram Krishnan wrote:
> Thanks for the response Dianne.
>
> Rule-based systems like spamassassin make room for false positives from
> any one of the rules. For instance , a blacklist can have a false
> positive, but there may be other rules which may not agree with the
> blacklist. An ensemble of such rules allows make spamassassin to be more
> accurate.
>
> In case of non-rule based systems like firewall, an inaccurate blacklist
> can prove costly when the firewall drops legitimate traffic based on
> inaccurate blacklists. I was reading about graylists on cisco firewalls
> <https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/security_management/cisco_security_manager/security_manager/4-1/user/guide/CSMUserGuide_wrapper/fwbotnet.pdf>,  where
> the network operators could use the graylists to generate alerts to the
> operator to act upon. A network operator can treat a third-party
> blacklist as a graylist and generate alerts. Is this common?

Another issue you are going to find is that SpamAssassin can be
installed in many different ways and in many different "positions" of
the mail flow.  Some will have SA secondary to blacklists done by the
MTA (Postfix, Sendmail, Exim, etc.).  When done at the MTA level, each
MTA can use blacklists differently.  For example, I use postscreen and
weighted RBLs to combine the results of about 25 blacklists and
whitelists to get an aggregate score.  Some people might only use 2 to 5
blacklists in their MTA that outright block if there is a single hit.
This is the traditional method that I used years ago but is way to risky
compared to postscreen weighting of blacklists.

There are not many default blacklists and whitelists in SA.  A mail
administrator has to manually add many extras to get it up to being
useful IMHO.  This requires careful analysis of your mail flow as each
SA instance has varying requirements and unique characteristics.  There
is a basic commonality to blocking spam but it's not as common as you
might think until you read this list for several years and see all of
the differences.

My style of spam blocking is heavy on the reputation side which includes
blacklists and whitelists.  I define safe senders based on certain
whitelists and valid opt-out processing of approved senders based on
SPF, DKIM and DMARC.  I suspect many on this list would not agree with
this tactic but that's OK.  Each mail flow is different.  The bottom
line is if you don't get any complaints from your customers, you are
doing something right.

If you tune everything correctly (which takes a lot of time and effort),
then you basically have to bypass blacklists for the major providers
like Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc. and rely primarily on content
filtering in SA to block the spam.  A few blacklists like Spamhaus and
Invaluement have figured this out and don't list these large mail
services providers but there are still many that don't which causes
problems.

Filtering outbound mail has different challenges than inbound mail.  You
have to have some form of compromised account detection based on unusual
activity which has nothing to do with blacklists or whitelists.  Plus
you need to carefully filter outbound mail using properly configured
last-external rules for blacklists so your own customer IPs are excluded
from blacklists but further hops back are evaluated against blacklists.

--
David Jones

Re: Operators Blacklist Survey

Posted by Dianne Skoll <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:46:59 -0500
Shivram Krishnan <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rule-based systems like spamassassin make room for false positives
> from any one of the rules. For instance , a blacklist can have a
> false positive, but there may be other rules which may not agree with
> the blacklist. An ensemble of such rules allows make spamassassin to
> be more accurate.

I didn't know any of that!  Thanks!  Wow!  Consider my mind blown.

> In case of non-rule based systems like firewall, an inaccurate
> blacklist can prove costly when the firewall drops legitimate traffic
> based on inaccurate blacklists. I was reading about graylists on
> cisco firewalls...

That's not a standard use of the term "graylist"

> where the network operators could use the graylists to generate
> alerts to the operator to act upon. A network operator can treat a
> third-party blacklist as a graylist and generate alerts. Is this
> common?

Not if sysadmins want a life.  If I did something like that on our
systems, I'd be getting multiple alerts per second.

Regards,

Dianne.

Re: Operators Blacklist Survey

Posted by Shivram Krishnan <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dianne Skoll <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
Companies with an MBA director who happened to read the "blacklist" buzzword somewhere and think they will look good by using it themselves.

Posted by Shivram Krishnan <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.