Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/02/02 12:43:51 UTC

[Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML

This choice:

> Math

can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
  * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
    with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)
  * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect

> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

The second objection of course holds for many names in the list.
We'd better follow Bertrand's suggestion.

Gilles

Re: [Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 February 2016 at 13:39, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 12:53:53 +0000, sebb wrote:

>>> apache-math-x.y.z.jar
>

> Just, this is not the current naming:
> "bare" name -> bare.jar

Depends on the project.

Abdera, ACE, Ambari all use apache- prefixes, as do many others.

Others don't.

>>> will fix the name clashing trivially.

>> The name of the project will be
>>
>> Apache Math
>>
>> which *is* protectable.
>

> Then if unique names or acronyms that are easy to identify are no
> valuable arguments, we could have had
>
>    ASL

Possibly; that would depend on the outcome of a name search.

> It's shorter than "Math", if that is really what people like in it
> (since no other good points were made AFAICT).
>
>> This is no different from many other ASF projects which use common
>> names that already have meanings.
>>
>> There are very few ASF projects whose bare names are protectable/protected
>

> Is it a good reason to add another one?
>
> Having a not already used and not likely to be used name can prevent time
> wasted later in trying to enforce the protection.

That's not the only work that would need to be done.

I agree it would be easier to enforce the name if it is sufficiently unique.
But enforcement is only a part of the workload - the project must
spend time checking whether there are misuses of the name.

That work is not necessary if the name is only used in conjunction
with the Apache prefix.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 February 2016 at 12:11, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 2016-02-02 12:43, Gilles wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
>>> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
>>> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
>>> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
>>> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
>>> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
>>> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
>>> choice for the name.
>>>
>>> AjaMa
>>> Epsilon
>>> Erdos