Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2008/01/29 15:52:05 UTC

Apache Directory Studio migration to Maven

Hi,

We (the Apache Directory Studio Team) are currently working on switching our
build system from Ant+Ivy to Maven to unify the whole build system of the
Directory project (as we were the only subproject to use Ant+Ivy, while the
others were using Maven for a while now).

We've faced a few issues that we're starting to fix, one by one... We have a
few questions for the Maven Gurus on how to handle things well.

Apache Directory Studio is an Eclipse based LDAP Browser and Directory
client application that works as a standalone Eclipse RCP application and/or
can be integrated into a existing Eclipse installation.

This is nearly our last issue: the Eclipse dependencies. In our Ant+Ivy
build system we are using an internal repository (stored in SVN) with our
Eclipse (and other) dependencies in it. With Maven we wanted to get rid of
this internal repository, which increase dramatically the time when doing a
checkout of the source...

So we created our own "Directory Studio" Maven repository with all the
dependencies that are not already in the "standard" repositories in use at
the ASF. We're currently hosting this repository on a private space at
people.apache.org
(http://people.apache.org/~felixk/studio-eclipse-m2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Efelixk/studio-eclipse-m2/>
).
We fear this is not an ideal situation. The people.apache.org server is not
the most appropriate server for this kind of need.
Do you have a recommendation on where to store this repository ?

We recently saw that some Eclipse packages got synced in Maven repositories,
but they're unfortunately not the version we use.
Is it possible to have the version we use synced, and, if yes, how ?
Having our Eclipse dependencies stored in the "standard" repositories would
allow us to lighten the weight of our own repository, and could also be a
benefit to other projects which depend on the same Eclipse jars as our
project.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot

PS: I CC'ed this mail to our Directory dev list.

Re: Apache Directory Studio migration to Maven

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer.

We tried this plugin some time ago, but it did not fit our needs.
We wanted to be able to build our application without having Eclipse
installed on the machine, as well as be able to build all our distributions
(Mac OS X, Linux, Windows) from one single machine (whether it's running Mac
OS X, Linux or Windows).

So we wrote our own Studio Maven Plugin which helps us to resolve our
dependencies, compile our Eclipse plugins, and package our RCP application
with the needed plugins and features.
But, you're right, it requires a lot of synchronization of pom.xml and
MANIFEST.MF files.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.