Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Richard In Public <ed...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/04/08 14:33:42 UTC

Re: CmdLine not honouring web.xml parameters?

Hi Upayavira

Thanks for the update.

I must admit that I have forgone the command line interface in favour of
WinHTTTrack (http://www.httrack.com/index.php), as recommended a while back
on this mailing list.  CLI was so much hard work and this open-source app
works like a charm.  Most importantly, it doesn't require me to modify my
code (e.g. dropping pooling) when generating static sites.

I am wondering what advantages/functionality the CLI could provide over a
tool such as this?

Regards,

Richard

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Richard In Public wrote:

>Hi Upayavira
>
>Thanks for the update.
>
>I must admit that I have forgone the command line interface in favour of
>WinHTTTrack (http://www.httrack.com/index.php), as recommended a while back
>on this mailing list.  CLI was so much hard work and this open-source app
>works like a charm.  Most importantly, it doesn't require me to modify my
>code (e.g. dropping pooling) when generating static sites.
>
>I am wondering what advantages/functionality the CLI could provide over a
>tool such as this?

The main advantage is that you don't need a runing servlet engine to
generate your site, and can easily integrate this in an Ant build file.

Sylvain

Re: CmdLine not honouring web.xml parameters?

Posted by Richard In Public <ed...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Whoops!  I actually meant to offer to test for you.  I will make some time
to do so.

Regards,

Richard

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Posted by Richard In Public <ed...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
> Note - in the 2.1 CLI you can specify a class to load at startup, so you
can use SQL
> connections as necessary. (This is directly because of your having spotted
that
> problem). However, because I don't use SQL at all, I haven't tested the
code.

Hey.  I finally managed to make a contribution :-)

> > I am wondering what advantages/functionality the CLI could provide
> > over a tool such as this?
>
> I think you've hit the nail on the head. What are the advantages? Why?
With the 2.0.4
> CLI, it is much easier to identify the disadvantages.
>
> My aim is to make the 2.1 CLI offer more than such things as WGET.
>
> Some of the benefits it could offer include:
> 1) The ability to write not just to files (e.g. to ftp servers, cvs
repositories, webdav
> servers, etc) using standard Cocoon/Avalon components
> 2) To only generate pages that have changed, reducing page generation time
and
> time spent on network traffic.
> 3) A java programmatic interface for site building, should you need one.
>
> These are the ones that come immediately to mind.

These may be of interest to you.  Perhaps you could save yourself some work
by providing Avalon/Cocoon component interfaces onto these.  Don't know
whether there are ASF issues here...

1.  Subversion:  Next generation CVS.  Anyone who doesn't know about this
project may want to check it out. (http://subversion.tigris.org)
 - Would be great to support connectivity for this...

2.  SFTP Eclipse Plugin: SFTP file Synchronization
(http://www.klomp.org/eclipse/org.klomp.eclipse.team.sftp/ )
- I've started using this plugin recently and am finding it very useful.

Cheers,

Richard

Re: CmdLine not honouring web.xml parameters?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Richard,

> I must admit that I have forgone the command line interface in favour
> of WinHTTTrack (http://www.httrack.com/index.php), as recommended a
> while back on this mailing list.  CLI was so much hard work and this
> open-source app works like a charm.  Most importantly, it doesn't
> require me to modify my code (e.g. dropping pooling) when generating
> static sites.

I still use wget for some of my Cocoon work, I'm afraid, for similar reasons.

Note - in the 2.1 CLI you can specify a class to load at startup, so you can use SQL
connections as necessary. (This is directly because of your having spotted that
problem). However, because I don't use SQL at all, I haven't tested the code.

> I am wondering what advantages/functionality the CLI could provide
> over a tool such as this?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. What are the advantages? Why? With the 2.0.4
CLI, it is much easier to identify the disadvantages.

My aim is to make the 2.1 CLI offer more than such things as WGET.

Some of the benefits it could offer include:
1) The ability to write not just to files (e.g. to ftp servers, cvs repositories, webdav
servers, etc) using standard Cocoon/Avalon components
2) To only generate pages that have changed, reducing page generation time and
time spent on network traffic.
3) A java programmatic interface for site building, should you need one.

These are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Unfortunately, much of this is not available yet, so you are probably better off with
WinHTTTrack for the time being :-(

Regards, Upayavira