Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jack <vi...@yahoo.com.hk> on 2006/11/25 10:21:13 UTC

Is jsp designed for use by large websites

Hello all,

I am a beginner and I am considering whether to use
jsp or php to develop a web application. I prefer jsp
since i am familiar with java. But i found that many
web hosting companies either do not support jsp or
only support jsp in their expensive dedicated server
plans. In contrast, php is well-supported by almost
all web hosting companies. Is jsp designed for use by
large websites that require dedicated servers? Do you
think php is a better choice for small and medium
sized websites that don't require dedicated servers?
Thank you.

Jack

Re: Is jsp designed for use by large websites

Posted by Igor Borovkov <ig...@borovkov.com>.
Hello!

If you want to develop a small or medium webapplication
and you or your programmers is familiar with PHP I think
it is no doubt use PHP.

Two years ago when I was in online ecommerce industry I used only
PHP. These days I was not familiar with Java. Now I am
a Java Developer. Nowadays I develop medium and large
enterprise applications mostly. And anyway
I think I will not use JSP for developing a small application.

If you don't have a dedicated server It is hardly to find
hosting with JSP supports. 99,99% hosting companies
supports PHP by default.