Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/08/13 23:11:57 UTC

SVN? (was: geronimo-dev Digest 12 Aug 2003 21:59:40 -0000 Issue 39)

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:59:40PM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:
> From: Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>
> Subject: Re: SVN?
> To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:16:10 +0100
> We are using it inside of Thoughworks for an intranet (code and content
> management). It is ready for use for the brave, but not released.  It
> would be up to Apache's board to roll it out; not so much for Geronmio
> developers to choose it (I think). For others though I really recommend it.

The Board wouldn't want to answer that question. It is really up to the
individual projects to decide on what they want to use, and up to the
infrastructure team to decide what they want to support. At the moment, the
infrastructure guys have said, "we're supporting SVN. here it is." The real
question is if, in the future, they say "sorry. no more CVS. it is a bitch
to maintain. switch to SVN." Of course, that could prompt a board action to
back up the infrastructure team's decision :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

RE: SVN? (was: geronimo-dev Digest 12 Aug 2003 21:59:40 -0000 Issue 39)

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.
I tried TortoiseSVN on WinXP (well someone has to use it) for simple stuff
and it seemed easy enough to use.

I would vote for it.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
What are the details of the SVN installation?  I am willing to bang on
it to see how well it will work.

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
If subversion will work reliably, especially on my mac (with out me
having to hack my fink dist too much), and provides the required
functionality with little or no pain, then I think we should go for it.
  I am worried about how production ready it is.  I do not want to spend
time debugging subversion... at all.

When I started setting her up for CDN that is what I was doing once I
got all the bits in place... debugging it to find out why it was not
working as advertised.  But, if we have a secure install that is
functional (and someone else who knows better than me, is maintaining
it) then we have nothing to loose and much to gain.

Lets get some more details and play with it, then we can evaluate and
make a decision.  I am not willing to blindly jump, as I am sure not
many of you are either... but CVS has pissed me off too many times in
the past, so I am ready to toss it to the rubbish bin if subversion is
ready to take its place.

--jason

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Re: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
from the upcoming subversion book:

these are _portable_ svn clients:

svnup -> http://svnup.tigris.org/

jsvn -> http://www.alternatecomputing.com/jsvn/index.php3

there is RapidSVN but i do not know whether there is a
Mac OS X port. you should definitly look whether there
are some Fink packages available.

subversion book URL: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ (p. 225)

regards

daniel s. haischt

[project management] Patches and code contributions...

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Guys,

Is there a prefered way for code submissions to be made?
I'm thinking that there are a few folks around who have/will have quite a
few lines of code to submit in one go, is this just going to all be posted
to the list?
Or can we use Bugzilla?

There are two potential issues with posting to the list;
1 is much more load on people's mail bandwidth, particularly Apache.
2 is that it might be hard for the few comitters there are to see and
process every patch owing to the volume of traffic on the list.

d.

RE: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by mk...@gmx.de.
Are there any plans of providing a 100% pure Java API without all the
hassles?

Cheers,
Mariano

Re: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
I don't fancy rebuilding subclipse's binaries whenever the SVN server
gets updated. Still think it's worth waiting for SVN and SVN clients to
get the inter-process communication sorted so that these recompilations
aren't needed; especially during development phase, but also during
normal use (going from SVN 1.0->1.1, for example).

Alex.

RE: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
No, subclipse is Win32-only.

SVN clients may exist, but there's no way I'd want to use a source
management tool outside of Eclipse ...

Alex.

RE: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.

RE: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: SVN and Eclipse

Posted by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com>.
Personally, I'm used to CVS and use it within Eclipse for my work.

However, I understand that there's an Eclipse plug-in that allows me to
talk to SVN as well, in which case there's much less of a problem. Does
it simply change the Team abstraction layer, or are there a whole bunch
of different menus to drive it?

Alex.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jeremy Boynes asked: