Posted to discuss@petri.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/03 12:35:17 UTC

Ressurrect log4j 1.x within the ASF

Hi,

Log4j received worldwide attention in December 2021, which caused a new
wave of discussions for both 1.x and 2.x versions.

Andrew, Ceki, Enrico, Rohit, and I would like to make log4j 1.x releases to
harden
the library and make the world better by improving security worldwide.
We believe that reviving log4j 1.x within the ASF would highlight that the
ASF cares about users.

Dave suggested (see
https://lists.apache.org/thread/xkmlbg3f075vxtm9jolt16o6brtgyzo8 )
an option to create a new PMC for log4j 1.x provided initial committers are
identified, then Dave suggested posting at discuss@petri.a.o.

We have 3 Apache Members onboard: Andrew, Ceki, Enrico.

Would you please advise us on the next steps?

Unfortunately, we see no way to proceed with log4j 1.x releases with the
current
Logging PMC (see below) as it would hurt both parties.
The Logging PMC wants to maintain 2.x, they do not want to maintain 1.x,
and they have no time and resources for 1.x.

Moving log4j 1.x to Commons PMC does not sound feasible since many members
of
Logging PMC are members of Commons PMC (e.g. Christian Grobmeier,
Gary D. Gregory, Matt Sicker, Ralph Goers), and they all vetoed releasing
newer log4j 1.x versions.
Frankly speaking, I doubt they would have a different opinion as they wear
Commons PMC hats rather than Logging PMC ones.

What we ultimately want is to release secured versions, and we did hope the
Logging PMC
would accept fixes for the critical issues in log4j 1.x.
Unfortunately, Logging PMC is actively preventing the revival of log4j 1.x.

Community around log4j 1.x
========

Andrew, Ceki, Enrico, Rohit, and I (in alphabetical order) agreed we could
volunteer to fix log4j 1.x security
and maybe other critical issues, so the current users of log4j 1.x could
update and make their applications more secure.

https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/apurtell
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/ceki
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/eolivelli
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/rohit
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/vladimirsitnikov

We value both the ASF and the users.
We acknowledge log4j 1.x would be a strange choice for the newly created
projects.
However, we believe releasing security fixes for 1.x is still important as
there are many applications that integrate log4j 1.x.

Reasons to keep log4j 1.x community within the ASF
========

Technically speaking, there’s a possibility to fork log4j outside of the
ASF.
There are many forks flying around: RedHat, Atlassian, and probably
other companies and individuals make and release their forks of log4j.

Unfortunately, the forks will never get traction as the users won’t know
the fork exists.
Dependabot and Renovatebot will never suggest “update Apache log4j 1.x to
Acme log 1.x”.

Making the release within the ASF would unify the users and avoid
duplication of effort.
We believe it would make the world more secure, and it would resolve
“oh, your app is using a vulnerable log4j 1.x, you must resolve it
immediately” cases.

Of course, the mere existence of CVE for log4j 1.x does not make the
application
immediately vulnerable, however, it would be so much better if the
problematic classes
could be separated into their own jar files, so the users know they are
using a hardened version.

log4j 1.x-2.x compatibility bridge
========

The bridge exists for a while, however:
a) It fails in non-trivial cases. It is still experimental, there are known
and
documented limitations, and there might be unknown limitations
b) The effort to upgrade old applications is non-trivial: the app might
fail to startup or
it might fail in certain business cases only. It might require updating
maintenance
scripts and procedures yielding no business value
c) The applications that use log4j 1.x are often fine with 1.x feature set,
and often
the only reason for updating 1.x is to resolve known security issues. In
that case,
it is wasteful to spend resources for migrating to log4j 2.x.

Log4j 1.x was EOL long ago
========

It is not rare when the software is maintained (e.g. reconfigured) and
developed by
different teams or even different companies.
The set of features and bugs in 1.x is often enough, however, the CVEs in
December 2021
highlighted the log4j topic once again even though the CVEs mentioned 2.x
only.
In that case, upgrading all the old apps to 2.x would be a great waste of
time for
both companies developing the software and their customers who eventually
need to learn different approaches to the configuration, update their
automatic scripts, and so on.

I can’t tell my story, however, Jason Pyeron mentioned
projects that can't migrate:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/b5b2vpbgjd72bsl2sw7thpbqh30spfbk

Apache Hadoop has issues with migrating to 2.x:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/gvfb3jkg6t11cyds4jmpo7lrswmx28w3

I am sure there are a lot of stories like that.

As the Logging PMC resolved 2.x CVEs, I realized it would be great
if there was a way to harden 1.x within the ASF.
Then the users could update 1.x and have more time with their families
rather than spending time on wasteful migration off 1.x.
So I posted my suggestion to dev@logging after 2.15 and 2.16 releases.
By that time I assumed 2 security releases were more or less enough to
resolve the CVEs.

Working with the Logging PMC
========

I tried my best in working with the current Logging PMC, however,
they are not willing to improve log4j 1.x :(

I started by asking Logging PMC about the possibility to release 1.x with
CVE fixes (see [1]),
and I suggested my help with doing that.
The PMC expressed no opinion on the idea to fix 1.x.
Several people (outside of Logging) picked up the idea.
For instance, Leo Simons suggested changes to make the project buildable
(see [2]).

Reviewing patches is way easier with GitHub pulls requests,
so I suggested that 1.x should flip from SVN to Git as its primary VCS:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/ssbdg44gy7txzl16xxd097t7orco52g2
SVN -> Git is a trivial change (the only action needed from PMC was to
agree on Git),
however, it took a lot of time to make PMC agree Git was a good idea.

Then Ralph (member of Logging PMC) suggested they won’t release 1.x,
and that I should go with the incubator (see [3]).

That is why I started “Looking for a champion: resurrect log4j 1.x” thread
in an attempt to re-incubate 1.x:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/mx667xg7rps5b7rhgr7pojmj26o9qzq7

Dave (and maybe others) suggested I should re-iterate with Logging PMC, and
I did that.
I reviewed existing patches, and I submitted a minimal pull request to make
log4j 1.x buildable (see [4], [5]).
Unfortunately, Logging PMC declined my suggestions.
Frankly speaking, it is extremely frustrating that even such
trivial changes as “make the code buildable”, “make tests pass”, “add CI
job” face vetos from the PMC.

I do understand they have a hard time caused by 2.x CVEs, however, they do
respond to 1.x-related mails.
It is frustrating when the only responses are “-1”, “I’ve not really heard
anybody else say” (see [6]),
and so on, especially when there are people who volunteer to do the work.

Logging PMC insists that 1.x-2.x bridge is the only possible option.

However, we created https://github.com/qos-ch/reload4j fork, and it proves
there's no issue with making log4j 1.x code buildable, and there's no issue
with fixing CVEs.

Ceki (still a committer in Logging) attempted to create a branch (just a
Git branch without changes) for
hardening 1.x, and it was vetoed based on “1.x is EOL”:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/4639nvg79j5jpxrx5bsosnt7k2c16ysv

Finally, the Logging PMC re-announced the end of life for 1.x:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/dlz8nyrsvffmgq29d354s0l484lfc83w
They say they will close all pull requests as “won’t fix” :(

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/tc6twt82f51c093km8r3qxthgj9lls1r
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/sb6qt1lmjj53dcb7hx7vyb19kdvfm36g
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/mlpb9v15r8qzpc58xnjn99r6tf9yy0p5
[4] https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j1/pull/18
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3301
[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread/1fkwr4lhdglvxnn5dncjxvc7n824wsf6

Regards,
Andrew, Ceki, Enrico, Rohit, Vladimir

Re: Ressurrect log4j 1.x within the ASF

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I just reviewed https://projects.apache.org which seems to confuse Projects and Products.

Read my notes as:
1. When I write project that is “Committee”.
2. When I write product that is “Projects”

I’ve written to dev@community.a.o about this confusion.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Please follow the process here https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html#conducting_a_suitable_name_search

> Dave>That product name belongs to Logging, but maybe something like Apache
> Log4J Classic or Apache ClassicLog4J could work.
>
> log4j1 might be even better.

Sure

> ---
>
> Dave, it looks like we have naming ideas. How do we negotiate and what are
> the next steps?

(1) Suitable name search via the link above.

(2) Determining the mission statement for the project which is also included in the direct TLP resolution for either this or the next board meeting. This link [1] gives links to examples which will help write the statement.

(3) We should discuss the communication strategy with the board and the logging PMC. IMO once the Direct to TLP resolution is written, you should send it to the board and start a DISCUSS thread on board@apache.org. There should be some discussion about why, but I would advise simply mentioning that the Logging PMC is not interested in maintaining Log4J 1 and this group is. Keep it short and direct.

(4) We’ll need to plan the infrastructure requests, but let’s see how quickly the Direct to TLP process happens.

Here to help,
Dave

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#preparing_a_charter

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Feb 4, 2022, at 8:46 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dave, thank you for the clarification, you nailed my confusion.
>
>> Changing the Project name is required. Changing the product name might be
> negotiable.
>
> I would love to
> a) Keep Maven coordinates to minimize friction for users
> b) Keep product name to make error lookup easier
> c) Add notes to the existing log4j 1.x CVEs that the fix is available in
> the relevant 1.x release
>
> However, just like you said, the project name should be different.
>
> Do you think the following might work?
>
> Project name (Committee): Apache Reload4j

Yes. Assuming there are no trademark issues.

> Webpage: reload4j.apache.org

That follows apache standards.

> Product name: Apache Log4j

That product name belongs to Logging, but maybe something like Apache Log4J Classic or Apache ClassicLog4J could work.

> Maven coordinates: log4j:log4j

Sure.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <vl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <vl...@apache.org>.
Dave> (2) is it technically feasible to share the org.apache.logging.log4j co-ordinates with Apache Logging without confusing the users of Log4J 2.X?

log4j used log4j:log4j:1.2.17 coordinates, and it does not conflict with
org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j.

Users already know how to deal with log4j:log4j and org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j.

Does that make sense?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Feb 3, 2022, at 5:33 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 6:35 AM Vladimir Sitnikov <
> sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Log4j received worldwide attention in December 2021, which caused a new
>> wave of discussions for both 1.x and 2.x versions.
>>
>> Andrew, Ceki, Enrico, Rohit, and I would like to make log4j 1.x releases to
>> harden
>> the library and make the world better by improving security worldwide.
>> We believe that reviving log4j 1.x within the ASF would highlight that the
>> ASF cares about users.
>>
>> Dave suggested (see
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread/xkmlbg3f075vxtm9jolt16o6brtgyzo8 )
>> an option to create a new PMC for log4j 1.x provided initial committers are
>> identified, then Dave suggested posting at discuss@petri.a.o.
>>
>> We have 3 Apache Members onboard: Andrew, Ceki, Enrico.
>>
>> Would you please advise us on the next steps?
>

> So Apache Petri is about helping existing communities to shift towards an
> "Apache style" system ("The Apache Way"), and when that is accomplished, to
> request the Board to construct a PMC for that community to operate within
> the ASF.
>
> I have no doubt that the people here understand how to run such a
> community. But what are we to do with the name "log4j"? That is "owned" (to
> use a term) by the Apache Logging PMC. It is unclear to me, whether
> $newProject can use that name. It might create confusion across our
> communities, or a tension, to have multiple people pulling ropes on that
> name.
>
> Thus, is there a possibility to market (say) "ACME Logging, to fix your
> log4j 1.x issues"? Or is there a possibility that Apache Logging will post
> on their website "For log4j 1.x issues, see Apache ACME"
>
> Basically, how do we avoid undermining Apache Logging? I do hope they'd be
> more than happy to point log4j 1.x users to a new ACME project, but likely
> only if a new name is selected to avoid confusion.
>
> Is that even workable?

There are really two issues.

(1) A good project name the does not conflict with Apache Logging and their Log4<lang> product naming style.

The new project name needs to be solved first.

>> Unfortunately, the forks will never get traction as the users won’t know
>> the fork exists.
>> Dependabot and Renovatebot will never suggest “update Apache log4j 1.x to
>> Acme log 1.x”.

(2) is it technically feasible to share the org.apache.logging.log4j co-ordinates with Apache Logging without confusing the users of Log4J 2.X?

Have a look at https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.logging.log4j/log4j and it looks like this may be a very difficult technical hurdle.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.