Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com> on 2004/01/20 13:23:41 UTC

Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?

Hi all,

I started working on struts-chain in order to add support for portlets.

I built struts-chain from cvs, using a nightly struts 1.2 build
jakarta-struts-20040113.zip to bootstrap my build, and my own build of
commons-chain from CVS.
I used the struts-example application from the nightly build as a seed
for the struts-chains sample war.

I deployed both in Tomcat 4.1.29.
struts-example works fine
struts-chain fails with an exception, see below.

I have a few questions:
1. is someone actively working on that code right now ?
2. does someone have struts-chain installed and configured correctly ?
from where did you get it ? Any caveats for the build ?
3. any idea about the Exception ?
4. I used maven to build struts: the maven dist target's result differs
significantly from ant's dist, and contrib/struts-chain makes some
assumptions about what's 2 levels above that are not met by the maven build.
This is whay I had to use a nightly build.
is there a way to generate jakarta-struts's build.properties from maven ?-)

Thanks for any help.

P@

----- Root Cause -----
javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot create redirect URL:
java.net.MalformedURLException: Cannot retrieve ActionForward named welcome
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:533)
        at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:60)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:210)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2417)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:171)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:193)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:781)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:549)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:589)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:666)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:554)

Re: Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.
Thanks BaTien, my focus is more short term: my goal is to make struts
1.2 work with portlets for any JSR 168 container, and document that.
I may take a look at struts-jericho later when I'm done with that and am
more familiar with the framework.
struts-jericho seems to me like a much more ambitious and long term project.

P@

Posted by Richard Hightower <rh...@arc-mind.com>.
Thanks for the description of Jericho.

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.

Re: Struts Jericho/Roadmap [was Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?]

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.
Ted Husted wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:15:21 -0700, Richard Hightower wrote:
>

>>What is the 411 on struts-jericho?
>>

>It's a whiteboard proposal, waiting to see if anyone buys in :)
>
>I wanted to get something "other there" so we could start capturing ideas, but, right now, my own volunteer hours are going into getting 1.2.0 ready to roll :)
>
>After that, I'd like to march through the (dozens of ) outstanding patches for 1.x.x, to be sure Jericho covers any and all bases mentioned there.
>
>But, if anyone has an itch to start floating code for a 2.x/Jericho implementation, feel free. My only comment is any proposed 2.x code should include full test coverage, back to front. I'd also be +1 on utilizing Commons Chain as a core component, as contemplated by Struts Chain. I've been using Commons Chains in my own apps for several months now, and I'm about ready to start working on some howtos or some type of developers guide.
>
>On the testing front, one other thing I'd like to do for 1.2.1 is a full suite of Canoo WebTest for the example applications. [Especially that nasty but quite useful Taglib Exercise module:)] WebTest is an extension of HttpUnit that lets you design tests via a XML script that can be run as an Ant Build file. Very sweet. :)

That's a great idea. I've loved the idea of Canoo first time I saw it,
but have never applied it to any of my projects.
Having these tests would help avoid the kind of problem that happens
with the current example application that does not work with
struts-chain: it would at least signal the problems when they arrive.

>Hey, who knows to  prompt ibiblio about adding a new version? (Martin?) There's a much new version of  Canoo WebTest that should be added.

Maven's Jira Issue db seems to have a category for ibiblio upload
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10367

There should be page that explains that at
http://maven.apache.org/repository-upload.html

But it seems to be down now.

P@

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Hightower <rh...@arc-mind.com>.

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>>For now, we could just declare that the struts-chain project.xml
>>extends the struts project.xml; this would work now without waiting
>>for changes to maven which will probably be slow in coming, since
>>they are doing a big under-the-hood overhaul for Maven 1.1
>>Jakarta-Commons uses project inheritance extensively, and I've used
>>it myself and it pretty much does what we want here -- makes sure
>>that the versions of common JAR dependencies track between
>>struts-chain and struts itself.
>>
>Thanks Joe: you are definitely right, project inheritance should be
>exactly what's needed for the struts / struts-chain use case.
>I had completely forgotten about that possibility, since I've never
>used it yet.

I've created a struts-chain project.xml extending from the Struts
one, and will check it in as soon as I can get at the CVS repository.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:36:14 +0100, Patrick Chanezon wrote:
> Thanks Joe: you are definitely right, project inheritance should be
> exactly what's needed for the struts / struts-chain use case. I had
> completely forgotten about that possibility, since I've never used
> it yet.

I've been using it successfully in another project that has it's own "core" jar and then multiple webapps that dependant on that jar and share other dependencies.

I did start a "webapps" folder for the examples locally, but was waiting for 1.2.0 to roll before getting into that.

That could happen over the next week, if the module= patches go well :)

-Ted.

Re: Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.
Joe Germuska wrote:

>>> Of course, it would be better to rewrite the struts-chain build to
>>> explicitly identify the JARs it needs, when time allows.
>>

>> I'm not sure this would be better.
>> Mavenizing struts-chain would be the best, but then with how maven is
>> currently operating, you would need to explicitly declare all
>> dependencies in struts-chain, thus duplicating struts dependencies in
>> this subproject.
>> My colleague Alejandro Abdelnur, whom I CC here, has a very
>> interesting maven enhancement proposal to solve that kind of issue:

> That Maven enhancement sounds useful, and I've definitely heard
> discussions of the like on the maven-dev list, either related to
> Alejandro's proposal or at least sympathetic to it.
>
> For now, we could just declare that the struts-chain project.xml
> extends the struts project.xml; this would work now without waiting
> for changes to maven which will probably be slow in coming, since they
> are doing a big under-the-hood overhaul for Maven 1.1 Jakarta-Commons
> uses project inheritance extensively, and I've used it myself and it
> pretty much does what we want here -- makes sure that the versions of
> common JAR dependencies track between struts-chain and struts itself.

Thanks Joe: you are definitely right, project inheritance should be
exactly what's needed for the struts / struts-chain use case.
I had completely forgotten about that possibility, since I've never used
it yet.

>>> The problem you identified with the example struts-config.xml may
>>> not be the only one; I tried using that a bit when I was working on
>>> getting Chain installed, and ended up finding it easier to just put
>>> the ComposableRequestProcessor in the app I was working on rather
>>> than getting it working with the struts-chain example app.  If you
>>> have the time to fix up the struts-config.xml to work correctly,
>>> patches would be gratefully accepted.  (Preferably attached to a
>>> bugzilla entry.)
>>>
>> I'll send a patch when I succeed in making that stuff work.
>> So my understanding is that the current struts-config.xml in
>> struts-chain is out of sync with the struts example application, and
>> you work with a different web application to test your work.
>> Do I understand right ?
>

> I believe that's true, and probably more so since Ted has been doing a
> ton of work on the example applications lately.  I'm plugging the
> chain straight into my current project and it's working.

Thanks, I'll try on a simple application then.

>> The changes I made in struts-nightly struts-config.xml to use the
>> ComposableRequestProcessor are:
>> When I do that I get the welcome page but all links go to blank pages.
>> Did I miss something ?
>

> That all looks correct to me.  You should be able to make those two
> changes (define an alternate processor class in controller-config;
> include Chain plug-in) in any existing Struts application you have and
> have it basically work.

Thanks for your help.

P@

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.
Thanks very much for your answer Joe.
Details below.

Joe Germuska wrote:

>> My other questions still stand.
>>
>> 1. is someone actively working on that code right now ?
>> 2. does someone have struts-chain installed and configured correctly ?
>> from where did you get it ? Any caveats for the build ?
>> 4. I used maven to build struts: the maven dist target's result differs
>> significantly from ant's dist, and contrib/struts-chain makes some
>> assumptions about what's 2 levels above that are not met by the maven
>> build.
>> This is whay I had to use a nightly build.
>> is there a way to generate jakarta-struts's build.properties from
>> maven ?-)
>

> As a matter of fact, yes, I've put in a few patches to struts-chain
> over the last couple of weeks.  Specifically last night I committed a
> change to struts-chain which will now require the newest nightly build
> of Struts (2004/01/19 or later) -- this is to more correctly support
> declarative exception handling for superclasses of the thrown
> exception.    I also recently put in support for Tiles, although that
> is not in the default chain-config.xml

I'll cvs update today.

> So yes, in doing this, I have been using a struts-chain installation.
> I built from CVS, and of course, i'm using Struts itself also built
> from CVS.  It works fine.  I'm running it under Tomcat 4.1.29, but I
> doubt that makes a difference.

I use tomcat 4.1.29 as well. I agree it should not make a difference anyway.

> It's true that because the build.xml for struts-chain relies on the
> Ant build of Struts, it would be fairly tedious to get it to work the
> way it is now using Struts built only with Maven.
>
> You can't generate the Struts build.properties from Maven, but it
> might be helpful for us to put in a version of build.properties.sample
> based on defining your maven repository home and then computing the
> paths to all of the jars based on that.

I'll try to do that: this may indeed be the easiest short term way of
solving this ant/maven problem.

>   I can send you my build.properties privately if you want a head
> start on that.  Of course, it would be better to rewrite the
> struts-chain build to explicitly identify the JARs it needs, when time
> allows.

I'm not sure this would be better.
Mavenizing struts-chain would be the best, but then with how maven is
currently operating, you would need to explicitly declare all
dependencies in struts-chain, thus duplicating struts dependencies in
this subproject.
My colleague Alejandro Abdelnur, whom I CC here, has a very interesting
maven enhancement proposal to solve that kind of issue: enhance the
resolver to determine dependencies in a transitive way.
Today maven's resolver resolves inter-project dependencies for the
multiproject plugin just for ordering the build. This goes one step
further and will allow for one subproject to reuse the dependencies of a
project it depends on.
My initial reaction to Alejandro's proposal was not very enthusiastic,
since you want to be able to build a project in isolation.
But struts-chain, which you can build only in the context of an existing
stuts build is a perfect use case for this.

The example here will be:
struts-chain depends on struts, thus it will add all the dependencies
from struts automatically.
He has a working prototype that I will try with struts-chain, to see if
this flies.

>   If you take my build.properties, change the maven repository path,
> and do "ant dist" in the Struts CVS root, you may have an easier time
> building struts-chain.

I got struts-chain to build using a nightly build instead of my maven
local build, but the example app still does not work.
I'm going to have a go at this build.properties and build everything
locally from a fresh cvs update.

> The problem you identified with the example struts-config.xml may not
> be the only one; I tried using that a bit when I was working on
> getting Chain installed, and ended up finding it easier to just put
> the ComposableRequestProcessor in the app I was working on rather than
> getting it working with the struts-chain example app.  If you have the
> time to fix up the struts-config.xml to work correctly, patches would
> be gratefully accepted.  (Preferably attached to a bugzilla entry.)

I'll send a patch when I succeed in making that stuff work.
So my understanding is that the current struts-config.xml in
struts-chain is out of sync with the struts example application, and you
work with a different web application to test your work.
Do I understand right ?

The changes I made in struts-nightly struts-config.xml to use the
ComposableRequestProcessor are:

modify original struts-example struts-config.xml to add just the chains
related stuff
<!-- P@   <controller pagePattern="$M$P" inputForward="true" /> -->
    <!-- pagePattern: use this pattern when creating URIs to resources.
        $M=module, $P=path -->
    <!-- inputForward: The "input" parameter on "action" elements is the
name of a
         local or global "forward" rather than a module-relative path -->
  <controller>
    <!-- The "input" parameter on "action" elements is the name of a
         local or global "forward" rather than a module-relative path -->
    <set-property property="inputForward" value="true"/>
    <!-- Use the composable request processor implementation -->
    <set-property
          property="processorClass"

value="org.apache.struts.chain.legacy.ComposableRequestProcessor"/>
  </controller>

<!-- P@ -->
    <!-- Configure the command chains to be used -->
  <plug-in
className="org.apache.struts.chain.legacy.CatalogConfiguratorPlugIn">
    <set-property
              property="resource"
                 value="org/apache/struts/chain/chain-config.xml"/>
  </plug-in>

When I do that I get the welcome page but all links go to blank pages.
Did I miss something ?
Could you please send me in a private email:
- the war you use to test struts-chain
- your build.properties

Thanks very much for your help.

P@

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>My other questions still stand.
>
>1. is someone actively working on that code right now ?
>2. does someone have struts-chain installed and configured correctly ?
>from where did you get it ? Any caveats for the build ?
>4. I used maven to build struts: the maven dist target's result differs
>significantly from ant's dist, and contrib/struts-chain makes some
>assumptions about what's 2 levels above that are not met by the maven build.
>This is whay I had to use a nightly build.
>is there a way to generate jakarta-struts's build.properties from maven ?-)

As a matter of fact, yes, I've put in a few patches to struts-chain
over the last couple of weeks.  Specifically last night I committed a
change to struts-chain which will now require the newest nightly
build of Struts (2004/01/19 or later) -- this is to more correctly
support declarative exception handling for superclasses of the thrown
exception.    I also recently put in support for Tiles, although that
is not in the default chain-config.xml

So yes, in doing this, I have been using a struts-chain installation.
I built from CVS, and of course, i'm using Struts itself also built
from CVS.  It works fine.  I'm running it under Tomcat 4.1.29, but I
doubt that makes a difference.

It's true that because the build.xml for struts-chain relies on the
Ant build of Struts, it would be fairly tedious to get it to work the
way it is now using Struts built only with Maven.

You can't generate the Struts build.properties from Maven, but it
might be helpful for us to put in a version of
build.properties.sample based on defining your maven repository home
and then computing the paths to all of the jars based on that.  I can
send you my build.properties privately if you want a head start on
that.  Of course, it would be better to rewrite the struts-chain
build to explicitly identify the JARs it needs, when time allows.  If

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.