Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com> on 2016/08/16 18:17:42 UTC

Latest Checkstyle requires Java 1.8

Hi,

I was looking at the latest version of Checkstyle, which has some useful checks updated (so according to it our code has some violations). Unfortunately, Checkstyle versions 7.0 and higher require Java 1.8, while REEF has to build on Java 1.7. I'm wondering whether we have any plans to upgrade to 1.8?

Alternatively, we could try and configure a dedicated build job for Java code which would use 1.8 and new version of Checkstyle, and to keep main code on 1.7 and old version of Checkstyle. I'm reluctant to fix new violations without having any automated way of checking for them, because they'll just creep back over time (which is what we've seen during the original introduction of Checkstyle).

What do you think?

-Mariia

RE: Latest Checkstyle requires Java 1.8

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
Of course, 1.8 build job would be for reference only, if at some point it would require a change specific to Java 8 we wouldn't do them. But I don't think this will be the case, the new violations I've seen so far are reasonable - redundant modifiers and modifiers with too broad visibility.

-Mariia

I think we should be careful about having a separate machine that builds and checks the code on Java 8 while maintaining the main code on 7.
There could be some cases where the build machine enforces style changes that are only possible on Java 8, such as lambda functions.
Not sure what kind of rules the latest checkstyle requires, though.

Jason

Posted by Jason Jeong <cu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,