Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by ScottA <Sc...@UnionDiamond.com> on 2010/03/11 22:56:55 UTC

EZBiz

Hi David et al,

I know back in late October you had posted about the idea of EZBiz and at
the time, there appeared to be a great deal of enthusiasm. I was just
wondering if anything ever came of it or if you have just had bigger fish to
fry in the mean time?

Thanks in advance.

Re: EZBiz

Posted by ScottA <Sc...@UnionDiamond.com>.
I’m surprised that there are so few comments on this thread. When you first
posted back in October, over a dozen people, and most were regular
committers,  had a great deal of interest.

I read the list and I constantly hear comments about attracting more users.
I know that a lot of the contributors feel that if they provide a solid
framework, they can make a living (and rightly so) out of customization and
extending OFBiz to meet their clients’ needs but this tends to be larger
organizations. My point of view says that if you have an accounting package
as proposed, you would attract many small businesses. They would have a
fully functioning accounting app that meets most of their needs for the
present but as they grow, they would have the whole OFBiz framework to grow
into. I can only go off of my experience. QuickBooks was one of very few
options at the time when I started my business. I knew nothing of open
source and chose a relatively cheap option at the time. Then I built a
website. There were only a few orders a month so processing orders using my
online system and then entering in QB was not a problem for my one man
outfit. Then came the time when I needed to add staff and then I needed a
payroll feature. Of course this is a subscription but no big deal. Then
there was my accountant. Me having to send a CD back and forth and then
merging any changes the accountant made. She had no direct access that OFBiz
would give. As the company grew, I grew out of QB but to my surprise, Intuit
have made it very difficult to get any meaningful data out of QB. So instead
of going to another package, I just upgraded yet again to QB Enterprise.

What’s my point in this little saga? Well, I guess what I am trying to say
is that I think an EZBiz addition would attract more small business. Devs
would not get rich overnight but I believe that in one or two years, some of
those small businesses turn into medium sized business. They are already
using OFBiz so why not just extend it? I think the devs would get more work
than they currently have because there would be so many more businesses
using the product and instead of huge one off customizations, you would have
many, many small businesses extending the basic EZBiz and starting to use
the entire OFBiz framework. Imagine the enhancements to the project along
the way.

Anyway, that’s my couple of cents worth and so I ask, if there is interest
in this how do we move it forward from here and not just see the idea waste
away?

Re: EZBiz

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
I may be able to put some time into this.

Re: EZBiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
This probably isn't going to sound very good, but $10k is about what I was estimating for my own cost to do what would be needed for development to begin (ie finish the design, review it with whoever will offer feedback, do a round or two of updates to the design, then task out the implementation). Once I scoped out about what just that would involve I gave up, it's a little more than I can take on (I guess I'm not _that_ interested in it... ;) ).

Of course, this could be done differently and people could bid on both the design and development of various pages, basically proposing each page as part of the bid (since there is only kind of a master list, and it's not complete). That might result in a more fragmented overall application, but if there is consistent enough review it doesn't have to be that way.

BTW, about the enthusiasm... I think it was more for the results and the general idea than for the work to design and build the thing. Maybe also there was a misunderstanding that I would be doing everything and it would magically appear over time, and yes that would be exciting!

-David

Re: EZBiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Scott,

Don't worry, it wasn't taken in the wrong way at all (at least by me), and is in fact very generous and does a lot to increase the chances that this will actually get developed.

My comments were mostly me thinking out loud about what this involves and what is needed to get it started, and I'm not really sure how that will work out. The two main options I mentioned there were:

1. design the app, review and refine, taskify for implementation, then get bounties for specific tasks to help move it along

2. don't do anything preliminary, just have people create tasks and bid on them and solicit bounties; the tasks would include designs or partial designs with an estimate of how long to finish the design and implement whatever is included in the task

In either case the people offering the bounty would be in the unfortunate position of having to deal with a dozen (at least) hungry community members fighting for each task to get the bounty on it, critiquing the work done (which might be a good thing as long as designers, developers, and bounty raisers all stick with it through the ugly parts).

Again what I really don't know is how to get this whole thing boot-strapped. I suppose anyone could pop up and start writing up tasks that have bids in them, and then those offering bounty can choose which tasks they want to sponsor. For a more organized approach it might require those offering bounty to take some initiative and direct whatever they think would lead to the best result.

-David

Re: EZBiz

Re: EZBiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Actually, my time estimate for the design/planning/etc was for 4-6 weeks.

Of course, I was talking about my own cost... I wouldn't work on someone else's stuff for that rate. :)

-David

Re: EZBiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I back David on the costs.

Re: EZBiz

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
I will match his $5000.

--
Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>
RidgeCrest Herbals, Inc.

Re: EZBiz

Re: EZBiz

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
+1, I could also participate in a bounty program.

Re: EZBiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Scott,

Re: EZBiz

Re: EZBiz

Posted by chris snow <ch...@googlemail.com>.
I would like to help, but would need some expert guidance for a task this
big.

Cheers,

Chris

On 12 Mar 2010 20:13, "David E Jones" <de...@me.com> wrote:

The OFBiz EZBiz effort never really got off the ground. I put my work so far
on the wiki in hopes that others would get involved, but that hasn't
happened yet. I suppose I might some day try to develop the whole thing
myself, but that was never my intention.

Maybe the best analogy for it is the story of The Little Red Hen. In the
case of EZBiz however, there is no Little Red Hen to make the bread, just a
bunch of us other animals (including me) who want to eat the bread.

-David

Re: qb limits was EZBiz

Posted by ScottA <Sc...@UnionDiamond.com>.
BJ, the point I was trying to make is that David's idea would allow me to
dump QB all together. No worries about import/export\double entry. OfBiz
would be a single solution for me. Short term it costs more but l;ong term
adds value to my business.

Re: qb limits was EZBiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
quick books and quick books online have set number of records.
so exporting just the Transaction for GL and reports is all that can be
done.

========================

BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

ScottA sent the following on 3/12/2010 12:42 PM:

Re: EZBiz

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.