Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com.INVALID> on 2023/09/25 16:17:51 UTC

I forget: does Tomcat have any problems with *not* having a ROOT context?

I probably asked the question before, but does Tomcat have any problems
with not having a ROOT context?

--
James H. H. Lampert
Touchtone Corporation

Re: I forget: does Tomcat have any problems with *not* having a ROOT context?

Posted by Aryeh Friedman <ar...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 12:20 PM James H. H. Lampert
<ja...@touchtonecorp.com.invalid> wrote:

> I probably asked the question before, but does Tomcat have any problems
> with not having a ROOT context?

Not that I can tell and have been running in this mode for about 5 years now.

Re: I forget: does Tomcat have any problems with *not* having a ROOT context?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
James,

On 9/25/23 12:17, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> I probably asked the question before, but does Tomcat have any problems
> with not having a ROOT context?

I always run with a ROOT context just to be able to do things like
provide custom responses with clients request
/no-such-app/application.yml and stuff like that.

This may not be true any more, but I have this comment in my ROOT
web.xml that get auto-built/deployed by my build process:

   <display-name>Dummy ROOT context to prevent 400 Bad Request

So it's possible that requesting /no-such-app/whatever will return 404
these days, but at one point it returned 400 and I didn't like that.

-chris

Re: I forget: does Tomcat have any problems with *not* having a ROOT context?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/09/2023 17:17, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> I probably asked the question before, but does Tomcat have any problems
> with not having a ROOT context?

None I am aware of although there may be some edge cases. Past
precedence is that any such edge cases would be treated as bugs and
fixed in the next release.

I can recall one such instance in recent years.

Mark