Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by John Martin <pb...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/25 21:40:41 UTC

Association of Work Effort

I'm trying to figure out the best way to integrate an application with the
Work Effort (WE) module.  I need to keep track of different tasks as events
occur in the application and believe that WE can do exactly what I need.
The question that I have is that I don't understand/see how a WE is
associated to an object (i.e. order, item, etc).  In my situation, we are
posting items to eBay in a scheduled job and if the listing fails, I want to
create a work effort to indicate that the item needs to be reviewed  and
relisted.  I would like to record the reason that the posting failed as
well.

I can see that the description would work for the failure reason but I don't
know how to associate the auction id to the WE.  Is the universalId or
sourceReferenceId the appropriate place to store references to other
entities?

Thanks,

John

Re: Association of Work Effort

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
John,

 > It appears that there was an attempt at a cross reference table for WE and
 > Orders being the orderHeaderWorkEffort but searching the code, it looks as
 > though only the createOrderHeaderWorkEffort service was created but not
 > used.  This doesn't appear to be being used.  This solution doesn't look to
 > me as being the best way since we don't want to have dozens of tables just
 > to relate WE to different tables.

I posted something on this before. Search the posts around early to mid Jan 07?

Entity OrderHeaderWorkEffort doesn't seem to used, I think. I left it at that because I was more
interested in WorkOrderItemFulfillment because I needed to link individual OrderItem(s) in an
Order to individual production runs.

I don't quite understand your generic reference table. Where do we specify which table is linked
to a WorkEffort record?

IMO, we shouldn't create such generic reference tables unless we're seeing an organized concerted
change in the framework to deal with something we might call "WorkEffort framework", where such a
framework would link any (any? really?) table rows with WorkEffort rows in a robust and
integrity-safe way. The whole idea sounds very open-ended, probably too big for me to wrap my mind
around.

Jonathon

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Which version/revision of OFBiz have you been reviewing?

I'd recommend starting OFBiz and looking at the Entity Reference
pages in the WebTools webapp and look at WorkEffort entity and all of
the relationships to it. You can also see it on the demo site hosted
by Hotwax Media here:

https://demo.dejc.com:8443/webtools/control/main (login as admin:ofbiz)

For the most part we use "join" entities to link one top-level entity
to another and use foreign keys and all rather than a general table
like this as it really doesn't buy us much.

-David

Posted by John Martin <pb...@gmail.com>.