Posted to zeta-dev@incubator.apache.org by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> on 2010/11/27 18:40:43 UTC

[zeta-dev] Survey on PHP library release modes

Hi,

I'm about to start a little online survey to check out how users in the
PHP world would love to see their favorite libraries being released.
I'll mainly do this out of private interest, but it might also help us
to optimize our release process.

Find below some questions for discussion. Whenever there is no
additional info, only a single answer may be chosen.

1. Which libraries / frameworks do you use?

(multiple answers possible)

- ADOdb
- Apache Zeta Components
- Cake PHP
- CodeIgniter
- Doctrine 1
- Doctrine 2
- eZ Components
- Horde
- PEAR
- Propel
- Seagull
- Symfony
- Zend Framework
- Another framework / library (free text)
- I code everything on my own

2. What is your preferred way of installing PHP libraries?

- PEAR
- Custom installer
- Manual download
- OS based package management
- Version control (SVN external, Git sub-module, etc.)
- Something else (free Text)

3. Do you prefer bundles over single component installs?

- I want to install each component separately
- I want a bundle with all components from a library

4. How would you expect a PHP library project to do releases?

- Irregularly whenever something is ready
- Regularly with multiple additions bundled

5. How do you want to deploy PHP library components?

- I bundle library components with my application
- I deploy libraries and application separately

Do you have anything to add / change?

I plan to use a Twtsurvey [1] for this or do you know anything better?

Regards,
Toby

[1] http://twtsurvey.com/

--
Tobias Schlitt        http://schlitt.info        GPG Key: 0xC462BC14
Want to hire me? Need quality assurance?            http://qafoo.com

Re: [zeta-dev] Survey on PHP library release modes

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi Max,

On 11/27/2010 11:57 PM, Maxime Thomas wrote:

> Excellent idea.
>
> We can also ask :
> - the job of the person answering : system admin / webmaster / not IT
> - the platform : Unix / Linux systems or Windows
> - the level of industrialization : tailor made platform (you have every
> things installed as you want), shared platform (the web hosting company has
> decided for you you what you can do or not), generic platform (you grouped
> some of your application and factorize software layers : using PEAR, Zend or
> whatever).

sounds like basically a good idea to me. However, it becomes a "real"
survey then, no more a "small" one. Interpreting it will become harder
and I'm not sure if Twtsurvey supports this in its free variant.

> I think we have to segment the survey's answer because some will use it in
> one way and other in the other way.
>
> Will you publish the results of the survey ?

Of course. I planned to make the survey public anyway, so everyone can
grab the data. And of course I will blog about the results.

Regards,
Toby

Posted by Maxime Thomas <ma...@gmail.com>.
2010/11/27 Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>

> [...]
>
> --
> Jérôme Renard
> http://39web.fr | http://jrenard.info | http://twitter.com/jeromerenard

Excellent idea.

We can also ask :
- the job of the person answering : system admin / webmaster / not IT
- the platform : Unix / Linux systems or Windows
- the level of industrialization : tailor made platform (you have every
things installed as you want), shared platform (the web hosting company has
decided for you you what you can do or not), generic platform (you grouped
some of your application and factorize software layers : using PEAR, Zend or
whatever).

I think we have to segment the survey's answer because some will use it in
one way and other in the other way.

Will you publish the results of the survey ?

Maxime
maxime.thomas@wascou.org | www.wascou.org | http://twitter.com/wascou

Re: [zeta-dev] Survey on PHP library release modes

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi Jerome,

On 11/27/2010 09:08 PM, Jerome Renard wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> wrote:

<snip />

>> 2. What is your preferred way of installing PHP libraries?
>>
>> - PEAR
>> - Custom installer
>> - Manual download
>> - OS based package management

> I would just add something like (apt-get, yum, rpm), just to avoid any confusion
> from beginner users.

Yup, good idea.

<snip />

>> 5. How do you want to deploy PHP library components?
>>
>> - I bundle library components with my application
>> - I deploy libraries and application separately
>>
>> Do you have anything to add / change?
>>

> Even though I think it looks really good, would you think relevant
> to add a question about depedency ? For example framework
> needs external dependency X or Y.
>
> How do they prefer installing this dependency ?
> Possible options:
> - via PEAR
> - I want to get it bundled with the framework
> - I want to install it manually
>
> Not sure I am completely clear here. If it's not just tell me :)

Hmm, I think this is already implied by the installation way. People
don't want to care about dependencies by default, I guess? Or did I get
you wrong?

Regards,
Toby

Posted by Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Re: [zeta-dev] Online: Survey on PHP library release modes

Posted by Maxime Thomas <ma...@gmail.com>.
I've done the same :

http://www.wascou.org/eng/Company/Blog/PHP-Survey-Please-fill-in

<http://www.wascou.org/eng/Company/Blog/PHP-Survey-Please-fill-in>Max

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi Jerome,

Posted by Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as already mentioned yesterday, the survey is now online. If you want to
> link it, please use
>
> http://bit.ly/phplibrelsur
>
> or link to my blog entry about it, which can be found at
>
> http://schlitt.info/opensource/blog/0738_php_library_release_survey.html

I added a blog entry here (mostly a copy and paste version of your post) :
- http://jrenard.info/blog/php-library-release-survey.html

Cheers :)

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi,

as already mentioned yesterday, the survey is now online. If you want to
link it, please use

http://bit.ly/phplibrelsur

or link to my blog entry about it, which can be found at

http://schlitt.info/opensource/blog/0738_php_library_release_survey.html

I will take down the survey in 2 weeks and publish its raw results on my
website. Some statistical analysis will then follow in January, if it
makes sense.

Cheers,
Toby

Posted by Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you can find the survey under
>
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/gform?key=tLcGit0fRn5vovDpGSpFOag

Looks good to me :)

Posted by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>.
Hi,

you can find the survey under

https://spreadsheets.google.com/gform?key=tLcGit0fRn5vovDpGSpFOag

I'll publish a blog entry on my site about it tomorrow morning. Please
keep it in private until then and do not submit the form.

Any further feedback that must be incorporated?

Regards,
Toby