Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Janne Johansson <jj...@it.su.se> on 2005/06/27 12:38:00 UTC

Neon libtool macosx weirdness. (as found in subversion)

Neon seems really really unwilling to create shared libraries on MacOS X
I've been seeing it on 10.3.6-9 but decided just now to nag about it. =)

When I build subversion I gets lots and lots of libtool checkings, and
all other parts think they can create shared libraries except for neon.

I have a neat example from svn 1.2.0 here:

http://people.su.se/~jj/conf-output.txt

Since I'm greping, it's not visible it's neon that refused to build
shared libs, but it is.

I'm no friend of auto* nor libtool, but I have tried to libtoolize it
with a fink-libtool and get ltmain.sh from other places to no avail.
neon really doesn't want me to build shared libraries for some reason.

--
Janne Johansson
Sektionen för IT & Media, Stockholms Universitet

Re: [neon] Re: Neon libtool macosx weirdness. (as found in subversion)

Posted by Michael Brouwer <mi...@tlaloc.net>.
When building subversion/svk for OSX I've always just done:

cd neon*
./configure <your opts here>
cp `which glibtool` libtool

Since neon seems to use an outdated version of libtool which doesn't
know how to build shared libs on OSX.

I'll try the GCC=yes env var suggestion to see how that pans out.

Michael

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.

Posted by Charles Bailey <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 6/27/05, Janne Johansson <jj...@it.su.se> wrote:
> Neon seems really really unwilling to create shared libraries on MacOS X
> I've been seeing it on 10.3.6-9 but decided just now to nag about it. =)
>
> When I build subversion I gets lots and lots of libtool checkings, and
> all other parts think they can create shared libraries except for neon.
>
> I have a neat example from svn 1.2.0 here:
>
> http://people.su.se/~jj/conf-output.txt
>
> Since I'm greping, it's not visible it's neon that refused to build
> shared libs, but it is.
>
> I'm no friend of auto* nor libtool, but I have tried to libtoolize it
> with a fink-libtool and get ltmain.sh from other places to no avail.
> neon really doesn't want me to build shared libraries for some reason.

Neon's configure script has some leftovers in it, for reasons I don't
understand, that requires the environment variable GXX to be set.  If
you say

    GXX="yes" ./configure <your opts here>

it'll happily build a shared libneon.

Charles Bailey
Lists: bailey _dot_ charles _at_ gmail _dot_ com
Other: bailey _at_ newman _dot_ upenn _dot_ edu