Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org> on 2002/05/01 04:25:10 UTC

Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Hi,
Before I make a formal announcement, I have uploaded
the beta 1 build onto

http://jakarta.apache.org/~umagesh/builds/jakarta-ant/release/v1.5Beta1

Please take a look and verify if everything looks good.
Based on your feedback, tomorrow, I will go ahead and move it
into jakarta.apache.org/builds and then, also perform
the other tasks like BugZilla version adding, announcing, etc.

At this time, I would also like to announce that
the Ant 1.6Alpha tree is available for further
commits to the main trunk.  However, the patches
that you want reflected in Ant 1.5 must go against the
ANT_15_BRANCH.  Bear in mind that we are in a feature
freeze as far as 1.5 Branch goes.  Only bugfizes,
documentation updates/additions and testcase additions/
updates may take place on this branch - anything else
would have to be voted upon.

To start commiting against the branch, you would
first have to do a recursive cvs update based on branch
name:

cvs checkout -r ANT_15_BRANCH

This would create a working copy of the branch for you,
and any modifications to this followed by further commits
will be performed against the branch.

If you want to commit against the main tree after
having swithed to the branch environment, you would
have to update your working copy again with the main trunk
by performing a cvs update after resetting any
sticky keys.

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 7 May 2002 00:15, Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002 14:32, Michael McCallum wrote:
> > the danger is that the order of the jars depends upon the ordering of a
> > list of items from the ant/lib directory so the classes used may be
> > different on different platforms.
>
> Exactly, and it's just not great to have multiple versions of the same
> .class files in your classpath, if you can avoid it. Some of my least fun
> Java experiences have been tracking down LinkageErrors with JAXP, caused by
> different versions of JAXP classes in different places - I don't wish the
> experience on anyone. ;)

agreed.

+1 to including it by default. Though we could also offer a stripped down
version that just contained the ant jars if it is really necessary.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 6 May 2002 14:32, Michael McCallum wrote:
> the danger is that the order of the jars depends upon the ordering of a
> list of items from the ant/lib directory so the classes used may be
> different on different platforms.

Exactly, and it's just not great to have multiple versions of the same .class
files in your classpath, if you can avoid it. Some of my least fun Java
experiences have been tracking down LinkageErrors with JAXP, caused by
different versions of JAXP classes in different places - I don't wish the
experience on anyone. ;)

--
ciao,
Daz

Posted by Michael McCallum <mi...@snaphire.com>.

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 6 May 2002 11:58, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I certainly can't speak to all the issues with the different API
> implementations and all that, but I'm a big +1 on shipping with Xalan - it
> will make using <style> easier and also <junitreport>.
>
> Although I've got xalan.jar (v 2.1.0), xercesImpl.jar, and
> xmlParserAPIs.jar in my ANT_HOME/lib and all seems to be working fine, at
> least with <junitreport>.
>
>     Erik

Hmmm.

Could you try it with the <style> task?
Here's what happens for me, with XalanJ - 2.3.1.
1) Clean 1.5Beta install - execute project with <style> task (myrmidon)
    ==> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/transform/ErrorListener
2) Copy xalan.jar into ant/lib
    ==> Same error
3) Copy xml-apis.jar into ant/lib
    ==> Success, but now we have multiple copies of JAXP classes in ant/lib,
with slightly different versions. This, IMHO, is dangerous.
4) Remove xmlParserAPIs.jar
    ==> Still works.

I haven't tried <junitreport>, but if it uses xalan, it should be a similar
story. Maybe earlier versions of xalan (like 2.1.0) included the JAXP files
within the xalan.jar itself. That would explain the differences between our
observed behaviour. Or maybe the JAXP transform classes are in your
classpath?

--
ciao,
Daz

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I certainly can't speak to all the issues with the different API
> implementations and all that, but I'm a big +1 on shipping with Xalan - it
> will make using <style> easier and also <junitreport>.
>
> Although I've got xalan.jar (v 2.1.0), xercesImpl.jar, and
xmlParserAPIs.jar
> in my ANT_HOME/lib and all seems to be working fine, at least with
> <junitreport>.

how about a 'fat distro' and a skinny 'for java1.4' distro?

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> I'm guessing we decided not to ship with Xalan - no big deal, I just
> wasn't sure which way we decided.

There hasn't been any veto, but I haven't seen any overwhelming
support to ship Xalan either 8-)

> Thanks Magesh for all the work you have and will put into this
> release!!!!

+1

Stefan

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
> Before I make a formal announcement, I have uploaded
> the beta 1 build onto
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/~umagesh/builds/jakarta-ant/release/v1.5Beta1
>
> Please take a look and verify if everything looks good.
> Based on your feedback, tomorrow, I will go ahead and move it
> into jakarta.apache.org/builds and then, also perform
> the other tasks like BugZilla version adding, announcing, etc.

It ran all my builds ok.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 May 2002 20:33, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> Hmm, I did respond!
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=102018000104727&w=2

arg - sorry. My email must be messed up again.

> Add it into the beta branch...

will do - thanks.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
Hmm, I did respond!
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=102018000104727&w=2

Add it into the beta branch...

*  Lecture: An art of transferring information from    *
*  the notes of lecturer to the notes of the students  *
*  without passing  through "the minds of either".     *
On Wed, 1 May 2002 12:25, Magesh Umasankar wrote:
> At this time, I would also like to announce that
> the Ant 1.6Alpha tree is available for further
> commits to the main trunk.  However, the patches
> that you want reflected in Ant 1.5 must go against the
> ANT_15_BRANCH.  Bear in mind that we are in a feature
> freeze as far as 1.5 Branch goes.  Only bugfizes,
> documentation updates/additions and testcase additions/
> updates may take place on this branch - anything else
> would have to be voted upon.

I am not sure if it got through but yesterday I sent a question whether I
should add in stuff for extension stuff given that I haven't fully tested
it.
I have attached the file that I want to add. Basically you drop this into
the
correct directory and add the following to JarLibResolver task

    public void addConfiguredAnt( final AntResolver ant )
    {
        m_resolvers.add( ant );
    }

I can drop it into branch but it may need bugfixes (going to test it
properly
tomorrow). Anyways you didn't respond last time so I haven't added it but I
think it really needs to be in there for release because it is the part of
JarLibResolver that makes it useful in projects like excalibur or commons
that contains many sub projects.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Ant 1.5 Beta1 Sneak Preview ready

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
Posted by "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <pa...@olin.edu>.
So I read through bug 1550 delete follows symlinks. It does look like my
patch could be used to fix this. Given the discussion there, and the definite
morass of possibilities of filesystems, the way to look at things seems (to
me) to be this:

---

1. Symlinks on linux can cause annoying, and even potentially dangerous
behavior, particularly with delete and copy type tasks. Understandably users
on these systems might want to write build files that guard against a global
delete of **/*.foo files (such as a accidental symlink to /usr that goes
unnoticed and someone being dumb and forgetting they are su root when doing a
build clean) (*shudder*). (most problems are likely to be much smaller, but
still potentially annoying)

2. Java doesn't understand symlinks very well (at all?), and the mechanisims
for identifying them absolutely in all cases are simply not available.
However, they do fall out nicely on certain file systems comparing absolute
and canonical paths. Our problem is that we don't know what filesystems are
going to be included in a FileSet and there could be more than one.

3. The only person who knows what filesystems are involved is the user who
writes the fileset. (hopefully) Thus the reasonable thing to do is to extend
the functionality that _is_ offered by Java to the user, and let him/her
apply it as needed.

---

So what I propose is to modify my current patch so rather than setting a
followLinks attribute, we set a isCanonical atribute. This can the be
propogated up to FileSet/MatchingTask and the documentation can mention it's
utility in avoiding symlinks, and mention the difficulties in using it across
samba or on case insensitive filesystems.

Sound good?

Gus

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 01 May 2002, Patrick Heck <pa...@olin.edu> wrote:

> I noticed that my patch to DirectoryScanner has not been applied to
> the 1.5 Beta Branch. I don't think it was commited anywhere for that
> matter.

Right, I was waiting for feedback.

Posted by "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <pa...@olin.edu>.
Hi,

I noticed that my patch to DirectoryScanner has not been applied to the 1.5
Beta Branch. I don't think it was commited anywhere for that matter. There
was some question as to whether my techniques worked consistantly across
platforms, but I did submit it before the branch was created. Since I am
writing a task for my own use that needs this functionality, I would really
like to see this included in the 1.5 release for two reasons:

The patch allowed developers to control whether or not Directory Scanner
follows symlinks (or other non-canonical paths).

1. If it is in the Beta then there is a better chance people will use it and
we will find out if it has problems on system types I don't have access to.

2. It would be much nicer if the system I am setting up on my end used ant
1.5 with my custom task rather than an Ant 1.5, apply this patch, and hope
DirectoryScanner hasn't chaged so it still works, and then use my custom
task. Basically, I don't want to have my system running on a mutated version
of Ant if I don't have to, but something standardized.

3. There was also a suggestion that the feature added to DirectoryScanner
could be propagated up to FileSet to fix a bug. So, maybe it can be added to

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> To start commiting against the branch, you would
> first have to do a recursive cvs update based on branch
> name:
>
> cvs checkout -r ANT_15_BRANCH
>
> This would create a working copy of the branch for you,
> and any modifications to this followed by further commits
> will be performed against the branch.
>
> If you want to commit against the main tree after
> having swithed to the branch environment, you would
> have to update your working copy again with the main trunk
> by performing a cvs update after resetting any
> sticky keys.

Or just grab a whole new copy in a separate dir, set up your path & ant_home
to whichever one you want