Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/06/02 16:15:06 UTC

Any objections to classifying UIMA-AS as 5D002?

Per the discussion on the thread here
http://markmail.org/search/?q=uima%20export%205d002#query:uima%20export%205d002+page:1+mid:6cnmzs4d66d4lq7o+state:results

I plan to ask our mentors to update the export page in apache to
register uima-as as a 5d002 project, unless there are other thoughts
about this.

Opinions?

-Marshall

Re: Any objections to classifying UIMA-AS as 5D002?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>> Since I haven't the foggiest what that means, I don't
>>> have an opinion.
>> The fog may lift after you read this page:
>> http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html
>
> Not much.  We're just saying that our software is using
> encryption and we're allowed to export it, right?
Not even that much.  We're saying our software is using **and including
in our distribution** other software that was (for whatever reason)
classified as 5D002. In our case, that is ActiveMQ.  ActiveMQ, in turn
is classified as such because of things it includes in its distribution
which were classified as 5D002.  etc.

No *use* of encryption is implied....

> Are
> there really any countries where "importing" such sw is
> illegal?  wassenaar.org doesn't really help (me).  So
> no, still pretty foggy.
I haven't looked into this...

> Anyway, it really doesn't matter.  AIUI, the JVM is also
> ECCN 5D002 classified, so none of our sw runs without
> some such code.
True, but we have not been (previously) including these things in our
distributions - but rather expecting the user to obtain them elsewhere.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> Since I haven't the foggiest what that means, I don't
>> have an opinion.
> The fog may lift after you read this page:
> http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html

Not much.  We're just saying that our software is using
encryption and we're allowed to export it, right?  Are
there really any countries where "importing" such sw is
illegal?  wassenaar.org doesn't really help (me).  So
no, still pretty foggy.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter.  AIUI, the JVM is also
ECCN 5D002 classified, so none of our sw runs without
some such code.

--Thilo

Re: Any objections to classifying UIMA-AS as 5D002?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Since I haven't the foggiest what that means, I don't
> have an opinion.
The fog may lift after you read this page: http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html

Cheers. -Marshall

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.