Posted to adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org by magdolna holitska <mh...@hotmail.com> on 2007/01/09 19:38:45 UTC

Drop down list issue when using EL

Hi all,
I have a drop down list and I am trying to set the value selectively.
Whenever I use EL in the code, the drop down list disappears and instead, it
has the appearance of an output text.
Any hints?

Thank you,
Magdolna

Here is a simple example:

Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping
http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805

Re: Drop down list issue when using EL

Posted by magdolna holitska <mh...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Adam,

Indeed, the problem occurs when using tr:selectOneChoice or tr:inputText.
With tr:outputText there is no error, it works fine.

Here is the stack trace:

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: /pages/Example.xhtml @16,55
value="#{myBean.myObject.myProperty.myId}": Target Unreachable, 'myProperty'
returned null
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:202)
	org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:97)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.TrinidadFilterImpl._invokeDoFilter(TrinidadFilterImpl.java:327)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.TrinidadFilterImpl._doFilterImpl(TrinidadFilterImpl.java:291)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.TrinidadFilterImpl.doFilter(TrinidadFilterImpl.java:214)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.webapp.TrinidadFilter.doFilter(TrinidadFilter.java:90)
	org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:144)
	com.iso_ne_on.foss.ui.util.filter.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:98)
	org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.doFilter(MonitorFilter.java:368)

root cause

javax.faces.el.PropertyNotFoundException: /pages/Example.xhtml @16,55
value="#{myBean.myObject.myProperty.myId}": Target Unreachable, 'myProperty'
returned null
	com.sun.facelets.el.LegacyValueBinding.isReadOnly(LegacyValueBinding.java:84)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.EditableValueRenderer.getReadOnly(EditableValueRenderer.java:233)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.FormElementRenderer.renderAsElement(FormElementRenderer.java:174)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.InputLabelAndMessageRenderer.getLabelFor(InputLabelAndMessageRenderer.java:75)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.LabelAndMessageRenderer$Label.getForId(LabelAndMessageRenderer.java:600)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.OutputLabelRenderer.encodeAll(OutputLabelRenderer.java:84)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.render.CoreRenderer.delegateRenderer(CoreRenderer.java:294)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.LabelAndMessageRenderer._renderLabelCell(LabelAndMessageRenderer.java:339)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.LabelAndMessageRenderer.encodeAll(LabelAndMessageRenderer.java:253)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.InputLabelAndMessageRenderer.encodeAll(InputLabelAndMessageRenderer.java:117)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.render.CoreRenderer.encodeEnd(CoreRenderer.java:181)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.component.UIXComponentBase.encodeEnd(UIXComponentBase.java:673)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.render.RenderUtils.encodeRecursive(RenderUtils.java:67)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.render.CoreRenderer.encodeChild(CoreRenderer.java:255)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.render.CoreRenderer.encodeAllChildren(CoreRenderer.java:277)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.PanelPartialRootRenderer.renderContent(PanelPartialRootRenderer.java:70)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.BodyRenderer.renderContent(BodyRenderer.java:134)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.PanelPartialRootRenderer.encodeAll(PanelPartialRootRenderer.java:150)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.BodyRenderer.encodeAll(BodyRenderer.java:76)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.render.CoreRenderer.encodeEnd(CoreRenderer.java:181)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.component.UIXComponentBase.encodeEnd(UIXComponentBase.java:673)
	com.sun.facelets.tag.jsf.ComponentSupport.encodeRecursive(ComponentSupport.java:252)
	com.sun.facelets.tag.jsf.ComponentSupport.encodeRecursive(ComponentSupport.java:249)
	com.sun.facelets.tag.jsf.ComponentSupport.encodeRecursive(ComponentSupport.java:249)
	com.sun.facelets.FaceletViewHandler.renderView(FaceletViewHandler.java:573)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:178)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:87)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:200)
	com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:117)
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:198)
	org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:97)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.TrinidadFilterImpl._invokeDoFilter(TrinidadFilterImpl.java:327)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.TrinidadFilterImpl._doFilterImpl(TrinidadFilterImpl.java:291)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.TrinidadFilterImpl.doFilter(TrinidadFilterImpl.java:214)
	org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.webapp.TrinidadFilter.doFilter(TrinidadFilter.java:90)
	org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:144)
	com.iso_ne_on.foss.ui.util.filter.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:98)
	org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.doFilter(MonitorFilter.java:368)

Regards,
Magdolna

>From: "Adam Winer" <aw...@gmail.com>
>To: adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org
>Subject: Re: Drop down list issue when using EL
>Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:54:30 -0800
>
>Can you provide a more complete stack trace?  I'm wondering
>if this is a problem with ValueBinding.isReadOnly() throwing
>an exception when ValueBinding.getValue() does not.  The
>only obvious difference between h: and tr:selectOneChoice
>is that tr:selectOneChoice uses ValueBinding.isReadOnly().
>
>-- Adam
>

>On 1/16/07, magdolna holitska <mh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi again,
>>
>>Here is a little example for the problem I have.

>>                             value="#{myBean.myObject.myProperty.myId}"
>>                             contentStyle="width:10em">
>>             <f:selectItems value="#{myBean.myProperties}"/>
>>
>>If myBean.myObject.myProperty is null, I get an error in the UI:
>>         javax.servlet.ServletException
>>         Target Unreachable, 'myProperty ' returned null
>>
>>If I am replacing the Trinidad drop down list with regular JSF component,
>>"#{myBean.myObject.myProperty.myId}" resolves to null without a problem:
>>
>>         <h:selectOneMenu id="h" label="Normal Status" unselectedLabel=""
>>                             value="#{myBean.myObject.myProperty.myId}"
>>                             contentStyle="width:10em">
>>             <f:selectItems value="#{myBean.myProperties}"/>
>>         </h:selectOneMenu>
>>
>>Any idea why tr:selectOneChoice creates an exception instead of resolving
>>the value to null?
>>Is there a nice workaround?
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Magdolna
>>

>> >From: "magdolna holitska" <mh...@hotmail.com>
>> >To: adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org
>> >Subject: Re: Drop down list issue when using EL
>> >Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:52:05 -0500
>> >
>> >Hi Adam,
>> >
>> >Thanks a lot for the reply.
>> >The reason I tried that is to actually do a check for null value.
>> >
>> >In my code I have something like:
>> >       value="#{a.b.c}"
>> >
>> >As I understood from the EL documentation - if a.b is null, a.b.c should
>> >automatically resolve to null.
>> >
>> >However in my code, if a.b is null it fails with the error:
>> >       javax.servlet.ServletException:
>> >       Target Unreachable, 'b' returned null
>> >       javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:202)
>> >
>> >What would be the best way to get around it?
>> >Thanks again,
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >Magdolna

>>instead,

>> >Your opinion matters. Please tell us what you think and be entered into
>> >draw for a grand prize of $500 or one of 20 $50 cash prizes.
>> >http://www.youthographyinsiders.com/R.aspx?a=116

>>Don't waste time standing in line�try shopping online. Visit Sympatico /
>>MSN
>>Shopping today! http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006

Re: Drop down list issue when using EL

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.