Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com> on 2006/05/03 23:36:58 UTC

Tapestry to generate mails ?

Hi,

I would like to know if anybody use Tapestry to generate its email ?
Indeed, generate mails based on templates is very similar to generate
HTML pages ...
As an exemple, i would like to implement the famous "I've forgot my
password" by sending the user an email based on a template where the
password should be inserted.
I would be very interested in a Tapestry approach to do this in order to
reuse all of my existent architecture (Tapestry/Spring/Hibernate).

Thanks in advance.

--
Stéphane Decleire

05 56 57 99 20
06 63 78 69 06

Re: Tapestry to generate mails ?

Posted by Roger K <ro...@gmail.com>.
Here is how I did it in Tapestry 4.
1. Create a service for sending mail
2. in service() method:

      MailPage page = (MailPage) cycle.getPage("MailPage");
      //set some properties on page ...
      CharArrayWriter w = new CharArrayWriter();
      PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(w);
      // getMarkupWriterSource() : Hivemind injected
      IMarkupWriter writer = getMarkupWriterSource().newMarkupWriter(pw, new
ContentType("text/html"));
      cycle.activate(page);
      cycle.renderPage(writer);
      Properties p = new Properties();
      p.put("mail.host", smtpserver);
      Session mailSession = Session.getDefaultInstance(p);
      MimeMessage message = new MimeMessage(mailSession);
      message.setRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO, new
InternetAddress(toAdress));
      message.setFrom(new InternetAddress(fromAddress));
      message.setSubject(subject);
      message.setContent(w.toString(), "text/html");
      Transport.send(message);

Roger Klaveness

Re: Tapestry to generate mails ?

Posted by Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com>.
.. Could we maybe just make the email, defaultDownloadService, etc. jarfiles
first, and worry about provisioning later ? :)

Cheers,
PS

Posted by Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I couldn't say it better myself. I'm sure that people have very good
components and solutions which are now swapped by email and such. Yes Tassel
is a good place,  and we have a few other places to go to, but wouldn't it
be nice if the main Tapestry website had some sanctioned space, not only in
the wiki.

I was also thinking more along the lines of maybe having a new "contrib"
section which continually grew, and then have a process where people could
contribute stuff, someone who got the ticket in a working gruop pestered the
autho untill all docs were in place, and then it was published and
downloadable from the main site (or wherever, with a link).

Then it struck me that this is the way it is today, and maybe the only thing
needed is to get more people involved in the process.

Cheers,
PS

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
>> Despite issues anyone may have with Maven, why not use ibiblio for it? Instead of YAPTG (yet another place to go)?

 	 	 	 	 	 	 	<!-- 		@page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } 		P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } 	-->If ibiblio can be that place then we do not need YAPTG!  There are issues with ibiblio maven2 repository:
 - Ever tried to put artifacts into ibiblio?
 - There is nobody interested in the repository itself as client agnostic provider of artifacts. There is too much Maven agenda behind the repository at mu taste;
 - The repository is dirty: incomplete metadata, unknown artifact origins, incorrect dependencies info, etc.
 - The current Maven repository is incomplete;
 Personally I would be happy if we in Java community had a repository that we would be able to use daily like this: http://area51.sourcelabs.com/cjar/info/about/cjar_everyday_use.png
 I do not care much if it is iBiblio, area51, repo.sun.com, I just badly want this thing to be available for Java community.

Konstantin Ignatyev

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Tapestry to generate mails ?

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Tapestry to generate mails ?

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
  Well, I think that the "one download" concept should be retired and we can do better than that old fashioned rigid approach. IMO it should work like this: a tiny project that defines 	configuration and dependencies has to be created and uploaded to the 	central repository;
 	when somebody will want to use 	the project then all the dependencies will be downloaded from the 	repository;
 	then if that someone will want 	to add to more components to the project it would be simple matter 	of adding one line to the dependencies section of the Ant's 	build.xml or Maven's POM file (it works today) or choosing new 	dependency in an IDE (available in Eclipse with Maven plugin).
  That is why I have created the CJAR project, I want it to become THE repository for Java community so we all can easily assemble our applications in the way we want. There are some ideas on how to allow people to upload libraries and components, please have a glance and send your thoughts.
Common repositories serve well in other communities and I think we should get one too.

Konstantin Ignatyev

Posted by Onno Scheffers <on...@piraya.nl>.
Peter Svensson schreef:

> You know what I would like to see; An array of well-wanted services
> integrated into Tapestry from day one.
> Generic download of anything, sure, it's there. Send-an-email; well, of
> course we have it. Et.c.

+1

Re: Tapestry to generate mails ?

Posted by Peter Svensson <ps...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Lake <ml...@netvue.com>.

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Of course i am and i think most of us are interested in such a service !
Manage "template" emails in an application is quite a boring and complex
task and delegate this to a dedicated service seems to be the right
approach !

Stephane

--
Ste'phane Decleire

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
I am interested in your EmailService, and I'm sure others would be, too.

Your point about dynamic content is a good one: it's quite likely
that an email would contain ExternalLinks, PageLinks, and perhaps
even stateless DirectLinks -- and it would be nice to generate those
in the email exactly as we generate them in a page.

Cheers,

Paul

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
I don't agree on this... Also I don't see really differences between
"static" email and interactive HTML. In the emails we generate, there is
lots of dynamic content although there is no form handling, we use the same
components plus many other tapestry features. Velocity is fine, but not when
you start to have complex emails. What makes tapestry great for this task
are the templates. In addition, I rather not add another technology to our
project, Velocity is simple, but just *more* to learn and manage for our
other developers.

And I'll give you a very usefull usage of sending html pages: for
exceptions, we send the tapestry error page by email (in tapestry 3) while
we give to the client a friendly error page. Logging is fine but it doesn't
give you all the detailed info of an error.

I've been working on an EmailService for T4, you can inject it in any page
and the interface is quite simple. It takes a list of properties (for email
headers, from/to/subject), a page (String or object) and eventually an
object map if you want to call the external interface of your page.
It is working 90% now and it is relying on a fresh request cycle, so it will
be possible to thread the whole thing. Getting a fresh request
cycle requires quite a bit of hacking, I may need to write a specific engine
object. I can post the code on the wiki once I'm done if anyone is
interested.

On 5/3/06, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> Tapestry is for creating interactive HTML, not a static HTML-formatted
> email
> (IMHO).  I think you're trying to use an elephant gun to hunt squirrel
> here.
> Velocity is perfect for generating email text.  You can still use your
> architecture, you just put some helper beans in the VelocityContext.

Henri.

RE: Tapestry to generate mails ?

Posted by an...@di.uoa.gr.
True. On the other hand,
did you know that there's an email app using Tapestry.

They used custom implementations for WebRequest, WebResponse, e.t.c.
to abstract the send and receive process. It's a bizarre use of Tapestry, but
it's quite interesting, wouldn't you agree?

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Yes, that's it.
But what is the advantage of creating a new service in Roger's solution ?
Isn't the default service usable in this case like the solution
described in the blog

Posted by Mark <li...@mark-arnold.net>.

Posted by Andreas Bulling <sp...@phoenix.hadiko.de>.

Posted by Mark <li...@mark-arnold.net>.

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
I agree with you for static email but mines are not.
The sample of the "forgotten password" was just a simple one.
I need to build email content which depends on informations posted in
forms by the users.
So i think Tapestry should be the best "gun" for this use ;-).

Posted by albartell <al...@gmail.com>.
Here is the tooling I just implemented last week to template emails