Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Richard Backhouse <ri...@hotmail.com> on 2000/06/26 15:49:37 UTC

Using struts in Suns J2EE Reference Implementation

Anyone tried using struts in the j2ee reference implementation ?

I know that the servlet engine is tomcat but I think it is 3.0 level. Will
this still work with struts ?

Also there is the dependency on the jaxp api. I wonder if this may be a
conflict with the xml parser supplied.

I did try manually building a war file with the struts components in it but
the j2ee deploy tool had a problem finding the ActionServlet. Looks like it
didn't read the struts.jar file correctly. This maybe a bug. It wouldn't be
the first one I've found with it ;-)

I'm leaning towards uisng the j2ee ri for just the ejb portions of my app
and using an instance of tomcat 3.1 for the web app. The downside to this is
making sure that tomcat sets up the correct jndi environment for the action
beans to find the ejbs. (This is just for a development environment of
course)

Richard Backhouse
Oak Grove Software

Re: Using struts in Suns J2EE Reference Implementation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Richard Backhouse wrote:

> Anyone tried using struts in the j2ee reference implementation ?
>
> I know that the servlet engine is tomcat but I think it is 3.0 level. Will
> this still work with struts ?

The J2EE reference implementation includes a modified version of Tomcat 3.0.

I haven't tried this, but in principle it should work -- unless there were
Tomcat 3.0 bugs that make it fail.

> Also there is the dependency on the jaxp api. I wonder if this may be a
> conflict with the xml parser supplied.

Tomcat 3.1 also uses the old "xml.jar" parser, and I have successfully run
Struts under 3.1 -- so it should not be a problem.

> I did try manually building a war file with the struts components in it but
> the j2ee deploy tool had a problem finding the ActionServlet. Looks like it
> didn't read the struts.jar file correctly. This maybe a bug. It wouldn't be
> the first one I've found with it ;-)

Did you try just deploying the "struts-example.war" file?  That should also
work, and has struts.jar in the right place (under WEB-INF/lib).

> I'm leaning towards uisng the j2ee ri for just the ejb portions of my app
> and using an instance of tomcat 3.1 for the web app. The downside to this is
> making sure that tomcat sets up the correct jndi environment for the action
> beans to find the ejbs. (This is just for a development environment of
> course)
>

> Richard Backhouse
> Oak Grove Software

Craig McClanahan