Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Peter McCaffrey <pm...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/12 22:00:54 UTC

Data Source Metadata Your Thoughts

Hey everyone,
     I wanted to send this out to gather some opinions before I submit any
PRs on this topic. I've been using zeppelin for about 7 months now, and it
has gained rapid adoption amongst my team.  Unfortunately, one sticking
point for our team is it's lack of some useful data source exploration
tools (if there is such functionality and I just missed it, please let me
know!).

I made a simple change to the JDBC interpreter to add an "explore" feature
as shown in this video I recorded (https://s3.amazonaws.com/scre
enshots-mockups/embedvid.html).

I understand that JDBC data source metadata can be gathered using SQL but
this works exclusively through the JDBC driver api and seems like a simple
and clean way to get tables and views while working on a query.

I've tested this with PostgreSQL and MySQL and I just wanted to see if the
community thinks this is valuable. I see in the sourcecode something called
the "sqlCompleter" which appears to work with metadata but I'm not sure if
or how this pulls data source tables and views so please let me know if I'm
missing something big. If this feature seems useful, then once PR-1744 (
https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/1744) is merged I'll open a PR for
this.

Sincerely,
-Peter

Re: Data Source Metadata Your Thoughts

Posted by Peter McCaffrey <pm...@gmail.com>.
Hey Alex and Hyung,
     Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! I'm glad you also
think this would be a good feature. I agree 200% Alex about this becoming
more robust as part of the workflow. I had envisioned--ultimately--there
may be some generalized metadata feature for all interpreters that they
implement especially for their respective backend tool. This speaks to your
concern about making the feature consistent and I think you're right on the
money that in order to accomplish that, it would likely have to fit
somewhere else in the UI that reflects the fact that it's an additional
part of the workflow apart from paragraph execution.

For the time being though, I agree it can be a documented little feature of
the JDBC interpreter (and a bit of an odd one at that considering that it
operates on a special keyword) but hopefully that's just temporary and it
will grow from there! I'm also hoping to spend more time on this concept
too.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
-Peter