Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Carlos Alberto Cortez <ca...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/02 11:52:55 UTC

OpenTracing support (replacing HTrace)

Hey all - sending this mail to this list as it seems there's no 'all
components devel' mailing list ;)

After the imminent retirement of HTrace from Hadoop, and its corresponding
ticket in Jira (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-15566), I
worked on a small Proof-Of-Concept effort replacing it with OpenTracing (+
Brave, which is Zipkin's Java Client).

I mentioned this in the related Jira ticket, but felt like it would be nice
to also post it here for further feedback and consideration. As mentioned
there, I'd be happy to do the remaining work to have this effort finished.

About the POC:

1. It creates by default a Tracer instance based on Zipkin running in
localhost (for simplicity purposes).
2. It uses the a GlobalTracer so create and register and use the Tracer
from a single place.
3. It needed some small extra work to pass around the parent-child
relationship.
4. Added a new SpanContext field in the clases using protobuf to pass trace
info (byes for now).

The code lives inin
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/compare/trunk...carlosalberto:ot_initial_integration

Looking forward to comments and feedback ;)