Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bart Busschots <ba...@so-4pt.net> on 2006/08/07 17:49:10 UTC

Broken link in User Guide

Hi,

Just came across another broken link in the User Guide. At the end of
section 4.8 (Writing Action Mappings) there is a link to
http://struts.apache.org/1.x/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/ActionMapping.html
labeled  "ActionMapping documentation" which gives a 404.

This is the second broken link in the User Guide that I've come across
recently, perhaps it might be an idea to point some link checking
software at the guide to pick up broken links.

Regards,

Bart.

Re: Broken link in User Guide

Posted by Bart Busschots <ba...@so-4pt.net>.
Hi Wendy,

Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 8/7/06, Bart Busschots <ba...@so-4pt.net> wrote:
>
>> Just came across another broken link in the User Guide. At the end of
>> section 4.8 (Writing Action Mappings) there is a link to
>> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/ActionMapping.html
>>
>> labeled  "ActionMapping documentation" which gives a 404.
>
> It's here:
> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-core/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/ActionMapping.html

Thanks!

> Please open a JIRA ticket so we don't forget to fix it.  There might
> be one open already that you can comment on.
Done.
> A patch for the xdoc
> would be great if you can do it, see the wiki for more information on
> editing the site:
>   http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsMaintenanceWebsite

Since I have no idea what xdoc is I'll have to pass on that, sorry!
>> This is the second broken link in the User Guide that I've come across
>> recently, perhaps it might be an idea to point some link checking
>> software at the guide to pick up broken links.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?  Maven 1 used to have a link checking
> plugin, but I haven't seen one for m2.

Best I can recommend would be http://validator.w3.org/checklink. Doubt
it's ideal but it's better than nothing. I did a quick scan and set it
off with a recursion depth of 3 and in a few minutes it had picked up 30
404s. I stopped it then because I didn't have time to run a full scan
but this quick test leads me to believe that the tool should do the trick.

Regards,

Bart.

Re: Broken link in User Guide

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 8/7/06, Bart Busschots <ba...@so-4pt.net> wrote:

> Just came across another broken link in the User Guide. At the end of
> section 4.8 (Writing Action Mappings) there is a link to
> http://struts.apache.org/1.x/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/ActionMapping.html
> labeled  "ActionMapping documentation" which gives a 404.

It's here: http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-core/apidocs/org/apache/struts/action/ActionMapping.html

Please open a JIRA ticket so we don't forget to fix it.  There might
be one open already that you can comment on.  A patch for the xdoc

--
Wendy