Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Hoover <mh...@nps.k12.va.us> on 2003/01/04 01:48:44 UTC

[users@httpd] FrontPage Extentions and/or ASP with Apache under Linux

Greetings everyone......

I've recently had some inquires made of me to be able to provide FrontPage Extentions and ASP on our Linux Apache server.  As I've been looking over the documentation I've been able to find, there seems to be some question as to whether it's possible to run FrontPage on a linux server w/o compromising the security that we all hold near and dear to our hearts.

I was hoping that somebody on here might have done the above and could lend any insight of whether this is indeed a very bad thing to be doing.....

Re: [users@httpd] FrontPage Extentions and/or ASP with Apache under Linux

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
well, I know that running them can be done, and I do not think they
actually place a linux box at risk.
I believe frontpage extensions are vbscript based, if so then it's just
a security risk of someone adding vbscript to a page that runs an
activex control to damage the visitor's system.

no activex or vbscript on linux. ~l~

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.
Seems like this question has been asked already 2 weeks ago, and the
answer has been given by Future Shock, below is the explanation
regarding the FP extensions:

Frontpage Server Extensions for Unixes are supplied by Microsoft. Seems
that Unix support is handled by a company called Ready-to-Run Software.
There is a Beta for using FPSE2002 with Apache 2 and a patch to run it
with Apache 1.3. See http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2002supported.htm
I'm not sure about DAV (someone else may have an answer), but if clients
want to upload web pages using their FrontPage program you may also have
to consider what other parts have been developed using MS-centric
add-ons.
Below is a list of references that I have gathered into a file that may
be useful.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=41372&area=sear
ch&o
rdinal=1
For more MS info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnserve
xt/h
tml/fpse02unix.asp
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mirfak/
http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/
N/G: microsoft.public.frontpage.extensions.unix
http://www.nicedata.com/Articles/apa_fp.html
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~heinlein/fp-apache.html
http://zts.com/msfpse/msfpse4apache.htm
http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/02-07-12#news
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/07/08/1358241
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/webserving/a_m_f1.html
"Setting up Apache with mySQL, Frontpage 2000 Extensions, and PHP NHF"
is a Newbieized Help File (NHF) written by Dallas Engelken for newbies
to get Apache up and running with Frontpage support in no time at all.
http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/97-10-17#fpexe
http://alive.znep.com/~marcs/fp/
http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/faq.htm
http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/96-06-07#setuid
http://www.joshie.com/projects/apache-frontpage/
http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2002supported.htm
http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2002_apache2_beta.htm
Regards,
FSBS

Regarding the ASP running on Apache server, as far as I know there's one
solution and it's called: ChilliSoft.
They provide support for ASP on Apache servers.
If anyone knows about another solution - I'll be glad to know about it
;)

All the best,

Jeff Cohen