Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Cory Riddell <co...@codeware.com> on 2010/12/09 04:37:00 UTC

how to --ignore-externals when merging?

Our project has several sub-trees that are included via the externals
mechanism. When I'm working in a branch and try to merge from the trunk,
it takes about 15 minutes and brings my machine to its knees because all
of my RAM (4GB) is used and it starts swapping heavily. In the end,
every single file gets a merge-info property added to it.

If my working copy was checked out without the externals, the merge
completes in about 30 seconds and only the root directory has a
mergeinfo property.

Is there some way to tell subversion to merge but ignore externals?

My client and server are both running 1.6.13.

cory

Re: how to --ignore-externals when merging?

Posted by Cory Riddell <co...@codeware.com>.
On 12/8/2010 10:37 PM, Cory Riddell wrote:
> Is there some way to tell subversion to merge but ignore externals?

I couldn't find any way to accomplish what I was trying to do. Instead,
I removed all the svn:externals properties. It makes setting up a new
dev machine more difficult, but it lets me merge from branches, so it's
worth it for me.

Cory