Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by LucHub <lu...@luchub.com> on 2011/01/04 19:38:23 UTC

Wicket web site down with a few hits

Hi all,

I recently created a wicket 1.4.12 web site and I deployed it on Apache
Tomcat 7 on Ubuntu Server. What happen is that if I hit quickly 2 different
links on the menu the web site sometime goes down. I cannot access the
website also from other computers.

Very basic configuration on the web.xml, with only the filter set.

The server is an AWS micro instance, normally I have at least 100 MB of free
memory and a very low CPU consuption.

There is any special setting for deployment of a wicket web applicaiton?

Thanks.

Re: Wicket web site down with a few hits

Posted by LucHub <lu...@luchub.com>.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Honestly I read a little bit around and using WicketServlet instead of
wicketFilter is a kind of not reccomended. I would like to go for teh filter
way, but thanks a lot for teh reply.

Part of the reason is that I think that is impossible that a wicket app goes
down because of 20 hits close each other. I'm wrong somewhere and I need you
help gurus :-)

If you need any other information please ask.

Luca

Re: Wicket web site down with a few hits

Posted by MZ...@osc.state.ny.us.
Just a hunch....try WicketServlet instead of WicketFilter (in web.xml)...

From:   LucHub <lu...@luchub.com>
To:     users@wicket.apache.org
Date:   01/04/2011 03:26 PM
Subject:        Re: Wicket web site down with a few hits

Hi, thank you for the fast reply,

Nothing strange from tomcat logs, also the server is not out of CPU or
memory.

I still have to enable wicket logs and check with a non Hibernate app (i
omitted I'm using Hibernate)

I'll post. Thanks again

Notice: This communication, including any attachments, is intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This
communication may contain information that is protected from disclosure
under State and/or Federal law. Please notify the sender immediately if
you have received this communication in error and delete this email from
your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested not
to disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on the
contents of this information.

Re: Wicket web site down with a few hits

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
c3p0 and other connection pools are pretty much deprecated with
hibernate 3.6 (as we discovered). com.jolbox.bonecp is a competent
replacement.

Martijn

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Did you make sure that when using c3p0 it actually was enabled and that you
used the validation query? and set this property:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1652676/hibernate-c3p0-broken-pipe

<property name="hibernate.connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider</property>

Anyways as Martin says BoneCP are nicer, although some time ago it did not
play that nice together with HSQL (it's probably better now)..

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
it sounds like you were leaking DB connections
Thread dump easily will show you this problem. You'll see threads trying to
acquire a DB connection and will wait until some of the previous acquired
connections is returned to the pool.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
If you use some kind of Unix then run: kill -3 <process id of
tomcat/jetty/...)
This will dump the threads' stack traces in the process standard out
(somewhere in the log files).
This way you can see whether there are threads waiting for something.

Making 20 requests and stopping responding could mean that your
application/setup leaks connections and
at some point the web server stops responding to new clients.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
dump the threads
maybe there is a deadlock

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Any indications what exactly is the problem ?
Anything in the logs? Any jvm crashes?