Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ian Cant <ia...@maniahub.com> on 2009/04/28 14:42:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Windows Vista DocumentRoot relocation issue 403 Forbidden

Hi, I am experiencing problems installing Apache 2.2.11 including open-ssl
onto my Windows Vista Ultimate (no service pack) machine. I have followed
tutorials I have seen online about running the installer from command prompt
(as Adminstrator) and installing Apache outside of the Program Files
directories. I have installed into C:\apache. I wish to change the
DocumentRoot from the standard htdocs (which does work) and move it to
c:\webroot. However when I do  this I am returned a 403 Forbidden error. I
have tried to copy and paste the existing htdocs directory (from c:\apache
too c:\webroot\htdocs) amending the htpd.conf file as applicable and still
experience the same difficulty. I am a new user of Vista so not 100% on
everything as yet. Done some searches online and have'nt been able to pick
up anything. Thanks In Advance. Ian

Re: [users@httpd] Windows Vista DocumentRoot relocation issue 403 Forbidden

Posted by Ian Cant <ia...@maniahub.com>.
Thanks, I've just realised what a stupid mistake that was.

> Hi, I am experiencing problems installing Apache 2.2.11 including open-ssl
> onto my Windows Vista Ultimate (no service pack) machine. I have followed
> tutorials I have seen online about running the installer from command
> prompt
> (as Adminstrator) and installing Apache outside of the Program Files
> directories. I have installed into C:\apache. I wish to change the
> DocumentRoot from the standard htdocs (which does work) and move it to
> c:\webroot. However when I do this I am returned a 403 Forbidden error. I
> have tried to copy and paste the existing htdocs directory (from c:\apache
> too c:\webroot\htdocs) amending the htpd.conf file as applicable and still
> experience the same difficulty. I am a new user of Vista so not 100% on
> everything as yet. Done some searches online and have'nt been able to pick
> up anything. Thanks In Advance. Ian

What does your error.log say when you hit the 403? Did you update all
the references to c:\apache\htdocs, or just the DocumentRoot line?
You need to do the former.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com