Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2012/03/31 06:48:53 UTC

[compress] Releasing 1.4

Hi all,

Compress' trunk has been sitting on valuable content for too long now:

* XZ compression

* BZIP2 now reads streams created by pbzip2 (parallel bzip2)

* TAR has been largely improved to support reading and writing big
  files, old files and files with long names - as well as encodings
  other than ASCII - in several ways supporting multiple dialects.

There is one backwards incompatible change, tar now uses the platform's
native encoding for file names (like GNU tar does) rather than
ISO-8859-1.

I intend to build a release candidate sometime during the next week
unless anybody objects.  In order to incorporate feedback before I
create the RC I've built the site for review at
http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/commons-compress/

Stefan

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 31, 2012, at 8:30, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 March 2012 05:48, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Compress' trunk has been sitting on valuable content for too long now:
>>
>> * XZ compression
>>
>> * BZIP2 now reads streams created by pbzip2 (parallel bzip2)
>>
>> * TAR has been largely improved to support reading and writing big
>>  files, old files and files with long names - as well as encodings
>>  other than ASCII - in several ways supporting multiple dialects.
>>
>> There is one backwards incompatible change, tar now uses the platform's
>> native encoding for file names (like GNU tar does) rather than
>> ISO-8859-1.
>>
>> I intend to build a release candidate sometime during the next week
>> unless anybody objects.  In order to incorporate feedback before I
>> create the RC I've built the site for review at
>> http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/commons-compress/
>
> There are quite a few references to 1.3 on the front page.
>
> ==
>
> Code looks generally good.
> I made a few tweaks:
> - ensure conditional statements have braces
> - fix a default encoding usage
> - updated release notes VM to improve the layout.
> - tabs and trailing spaces

Good catches!

Thank you,
Gary

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-04-01, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2012-03-31, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>>> Before ages when I wrote the "ChangeSet" stuff I have marked them as
>>> "experimental". Have not heard any complains yet... we should discuss
>>> if we remove that label or if need some more tweaks there. Probably
>>> after 1.4?

>> Personally I intend (but you know what happens to good intentions when
>> time is limited) to kick off a Compress 2.0 API discussion after the 1.4
>> release - generics, some improvements as well as getting rid of some
>> backwards compatibility baggage.

> I agree, but whats the conclusion? :-)
> Wait for 2.0?

Yes.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> +1
>
> Before ages when I wrote the "ChangeSet" stuff I have marked them as
> "experimental". Have not heard any complains yet... we should discuss
> if we remove that label or if need some more tweaks there. Probably
> after 1.4?

If nobody complained about it until now, remove the label. It gets part of
the API anyway.

- Jörg

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-03-31, Gary Gregory wrote:

> The trunk looks good now IMO. I'll let others decide about the change set
> docs.

> The only item that stick out but could wait for another release:
> - the large code dup in BZip2CompressorInputStream as noted by CPD.

I've seen that but must admit I didn't see a proper way to get rid of it
on first glance - extracting a method would require shuffling around a
lot of state IIRC.

> - the apparently unfinished JarArchiveEntry

Oh, it's been unfinished since Compress 1.0 ;-)

> - unused summary fields in DumpArchiveEntry

Probably unfinished work as well.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 April 2012 05:55, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2012-03-31, sebb wrote:
>
>> There are a few places where the default charset is being used.
>> It's not clear whether these are intentional or not, so I have marked
>> them with TODOs.
>
> Thanks (and thanks for the other fixes as well).
>
>> We should either document that the default is OK, or use a fixed
>> charset, e.g. ASCII.
>
> Agreed, but this can be done after the release IMHO (they've been in
> that state for the prior releases as well).

OK.

They need a bit of thought (I fixed the ones that were obviously ASCII
- they involved numeric conversion)

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] Releasing 1.4