Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Andy Ellixson <el...@adelphia.net> on 2005/12/06 17:45:53 UTC

CategoryFactory, XML and Joran 1.3 alpha-7

I've been trying to get the CategoryFactory to work via XML config file
in log4j 1.2.8, then i learned that it was broken and would not be
fixed.  So now, i'm using 1.3 alpha-7, and can't get the system to
recognize the "categoryFactory" element in my XML file.  I have yet to
see an log4j.xml file that shows how to use the "categoryFactory", even
in this release.  All of Ceki 's examples use a properties file, rather
than XML.

Is this functionality broken in 1.3 also?  When attempting to use in
1.3, i receive warnings from the Joran configurator that there is no
action pattern for "configure/categoryFactory".  I've also noticed that
the "SYSTEM log4j.dtd" statement is now longer required in the XML file,
but assume that the log4j.dtd is still applicable as a reference on
which elements are valid for the XML.  If this is so, then
categoryFactory in 1.3 is broken.

Help please!!

andy ellixson
ellixson@adelphia.net