Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2009/09/11 08:34:43 UTC

There's still hope for 2.2...

We may be able to release 2.2 soon.  Activemq has fixed the last bug
we had problems with and is fast approaching a release, openejb is
getting very close to a release for 2.2, and I've started votes on a
number of our snapshot dependencies.

At this point I'd like anyone who is working on something they'd like
to get into 2.2 to reply to this with a description of what they are
working on and an estimate for completion.

Also, if there is something you think is really necessary to get into
2.2 please reply and describe what you'd like.

many thanks
david jencks

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
AMQ 5.3.0 and Jetty v7 have been released.

http://www.h-online.com/open/Jetty-7-arrives-from-Eclipse-and-Webtide--/news/114427

-Donald

Re: put XSD schemas on G web

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 30, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Radim Kolar wrote:

> Ellen Tang-2 wrote:
>>
>> Ellen,
>>
>> I can't open the URL in your email:
>>
>> http://geronimo.apache.org/xsd/geonimo-module-1.2.xsd<http://geronimo.apache.org/xsd/geronimo-module-1.2.xsd
>> >

>> Is there any typo in there?
>>

> There is no typo, but these XSD files are not at that URL yet. My
> message
> was proposal for Geronimo web space change, because it will help
> people with
> validating XML editors to write deployement plans. I dont have
> access rights
> to upload XSD files at that location.

Hi Radim,
Does http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/ meet your needs? For example,
geronimo-module-1.2.xsd can be found here:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2

--kevan

Re: put XSD schemas on G web

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@sendmail.cz>.

Re: put XSD schemas on G web

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi  Radim,

You may find XSD files under <geronimo_home>/schema directory. I didn't look
into the code to find out whether schema validation was done against local
.xsd files.

I am not sure if it's necessary to put these schema files in text/xml format
on G website if validation happens on local.

Hope someone with more experiences in G development could answer the
question.

When you are developing applications in Eclipse, I'd like to recommend GEP
cause it could help you with development of deployment plans, especially
using its Geronimo Plan Editor and wizards.

Thanks.

Jeff C

Re: put XSD schemas on G web

Posted by Ellen Tang <lt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Radim,

I can't open the URL in your email:

http://geronimo.apache.org/xsd/geonimo-module-1.2.xsd<http://geronimo.apache.org/xsd/geronimo-module-1.2.xsd>

Is there any typo in there?

Ellen

put XSD schemas on G web

Re: documentation is important too

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Radim, thanks for your comments.

Details of elements in each deployment plan, you may refer to [1]. And I
hope this is what you are looking for.

About samples, Geronimo has a complex sample application named daytrader,
but its latest version for G2.2 is still under working. You may svn co the
source code for G2.1.3 from [2] for reference.

[1]  http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/understanding-deployment-plans.html
[2]  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader/branches/2.1.3/

Anything else, please let us know.

Jeff

Re: documentation is important too

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@sendmail.cz>.

RunHua Chi wrote:

> We'd like to hear more about your comments to the document such as the
> documents are not well-orgnized? what kind of topics are missing? Or you
> can
> share your experience briefly, we can help to document? I think more
> details
> will do more help.

I have not checked WAS CE examples, but examples on G web page didn't have
xsd files referenced in xml header, it was quite difficult to guess what
tags are used because eclipse xml editor didnt helped much. ibm
documentation also didnt mention where xsd files are available via HTTP.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/V2.1.1/en/developing-deployment-plans.html

i used some examples on web site as reference but they were too simple.

Re: documentation is important too

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Well, I think it's something missing in Geronimo. You might want to file a
JIRA for this one.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO

And I am also interested in the struggle you experienced, as you mentioned
earlier, it took you almost entire day to write it correct.

Could you let us more details about the scenario, I believe your experience
could help us to improve the document.

Thanks alot.

Jeff C

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@sendmail.cz>.

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree that documentation is really important to the success of
Geronimo.

We have lots of changes in terms of security, web container integration
mechanism as well as GEP improvements for G2.2, and we know some of
information are not well documented yet. For the current status of G2.2 doc
development, you may refer to

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/apache-geronimo-v22-documentation-development-status.html

Beyond these items listed, I believe there are lots of topics to be updated
such as new samples, screenshots and so on. Therefore, we would appreciate
any individual who can contribute to the documents and especially for those
who has successful experiences with configuration of certain components.

As for the examples that you mentioned, in my understanding,  G Doc already
has certain topics for those:
1. Database security realm, you may refer to
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/database-sql-realm.html
2. Real samples, we have sample applications for test and evaluation, you
may refer to
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/sample-applications.html#Sampleapplications-AvailableSampleApplicationsor
WAS CE samples which can be deployed on Geronimo as well
3. Tutorial for various applications' development, which might not cover
every corner by now but it would be
applaudable**<http://www.iciba.com/applaudable/>if we could have more
and more tutorials on website. For this part, you may
refer to
   http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/developing-web-applications.html
   http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/developing-ejb-applications.html
   http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/developing-jpa-applications.html
   http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/developing-application-clients.html
   http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/developing-web-services.html

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@sendmail.cz>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hope someone could look into
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4222. It's an important
reliability issue about db connectivity.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
I finished the patch for the console filter to improve its performance:

Hopefully someone could review it...

-Jack

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
 Is there an approximate date of Geronimo 2.2 release ? I remembered that
last time, what I got is in the early October.
Thanks !

--
Ivan

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.

--
Quintin Beukes

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
GERONIMO-4625<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4603>

--
Ivan

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
I'm working on

And hopefully they can be included in G22

--
Shawn

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.

--
Ivan

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
David, are you working on a new TranQL release in order to include the stale
connection patch?

-Jack

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: There's still hope for 2.2...

Posted by frapien <fr...@gmx.de>.
are there any new release plans for 2.2?
3Q2009 is over and needs an update under
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-22-release-status.html