Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/04 18:24:44 UTC

Welcome to the Apache OpenOffice Documentation Team!

First, I apologize for sending this unpersonalized, bulk email.  We
received many responses to our "call for volunteers" over the weekend,
and this is the best way to get information out to all of you.

If you have not already done this, I recommend reading through our
"Intro to Documentation" web page:
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html

That page has important info you will need to get started.

We're currently working on a Users Guide for Apache OpenOffice 4.0.
You can see the current draft on our wiki here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide

A status page for each of the sections is here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Status

Producing the Users Guide is a multi-step process, including drafting,
technical and editorial reviews.  We welcome help with any of these
tasks.  If you can help in an area, please add your name next to it on
the Status page.

You might wonder about the timeline for this work.  Good question.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0 will probably be completed later this spring, in
May or June.  We want to have the User Guide completed by then.  But
if we can be done with the English version even earlier, say by end of
April, then we give time for some translations to be completed as
well.  So I would recommend that we aim for having most of the English
version written and edited before the end of April.  But final
technical review might need to wait until we have the final version of
OpenOffice 4.0 to look at.

If you have any questions, please write to this mailing list,
doc@openoffice.apache.org.

Regards,

-Rob