Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by David Warnock <da...@sundayta.com> on 2002/03/09 22:53:26 UTC

Thanks From VisibleResults

Hi,

A big thank-you for Velocity.

On Thursday and Friday we had a development conference at Sundayta's
offices (http://www.sundayta.com) for VisibleResults
(http://www.visres.org and
http://www.sf.sourceforge.net/projects/visibleresults).

We had 11 people (2 client representatives, 1 graphic designer, 1 tester
and documenter, 6 developers and me as chief coffee maker). All agreed
it was a great success.

For it's MVC architecture VisibleResults now uses:-

     Model = Java Relational Framework aka JRF see
       http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/jrf

     View = Velocity see
       http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/index.html

     Controller = ActionServlet see
       http://dione.zcu.cz/~toman40/ActionServlet/

Our Database is Firebird see http://www.firebirdsql.com using the new
Java_Client.

We got all layers working fully together with some unit tests, we were
also able to integrate the HTML Trees from Melati
(http://www.melati.org). We designed a huge amount of the user interface
and still had time for learning Extreme Programming by doing it. What is
more we also had some great food (Tim, was that a whole sheep?) and company.

Our thanks to everyone involved in these great open source projects as
well as all the others we use in this project (above and beyond our
complete GNU/Linux systems). That includes

     Ant for building see http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html

     JUnit for unit tests see http://www.junit.org

     Jikes as our compiler see http://www.jikes.org

If you would like to know more as either a contributor or user about
VisibleResults (which is a GPL'd Fundraising Application for charities
and a more general Contact Management System) then I would love to hear
from you.

Regards

Dave Warnock
Managing Director
Sundayta Ltd

Re: Thanks From VisibleResults

Posted by David Warnock <da...@sundayta.com>.
Geir,

> Ok.  We'll keep it quiet that ...

<big grin>

> Maybe they can upgrade me out of cattle-class next time I fly them so I can
> avoid BA and still have room to do some work.. :)

Unfortunately, the Virgin group is made up of quite separate business
units, still you could ask people to send you some vouchers towards the
flights :-)

Dave

Re: Thanks From VisibleResults

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 3/9/02 5:20 PM, "David Warnock" <da...@sundayta.com> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Can I assume that we can put this on the site as a testimonial?
>
> Yes of course if it is of use.
>
> I also hope to get permission for you to list 2 sites we have done for
> Virgin Incentives (http://www.virginincentives.co.uk and
> http://www.virgin-experience.co.uk). I will let you know when these can
> go on the powered by pages until then keep it quiet that they are
> powered by Velocity ;-)

Ok.  We'll keep it quiet that http://www.virginincentives.co.uk and
http://www.virgin-experience.co.uk might be powered by velocity.

They won't hear about it from us.

No siree.  Not http://www.virgin-experience.co.uk or
http://www.virginincentives.co.uk

geir

Maybe they can upgrade me out of cattle-class next time I fly them so I can
avoid BA and still have room to do some work.. :)

System and Software Consulting
Java : the speed of Smalltalk with the simple elegance of C++...

Re: Thanks From VisibleResults

Posted by David Warnock <da...@sundayta.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

On 3/9/02 4:53 PM, "David Warnock" <da...@sundayta.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A big thank-you for Velocity.
>
> On Thursday and Friday we had a development conference at Sundayta's
> offices (http://www.sundayta.com) for VisibleResults
> (http://www.visres.org and
> http://www.sf.sourceforge.net/projects/visibleresults).
>
> We had 11 people (2 client representatives, 1 graphic designer, 1 tester
> and documenter, 6 developers and me as chief coffee maker). All agreed
> it was a great success.
>
> For it's MVC architecture VisibleResults now uses:-
>
>    Model = Java Relational Framework aka JRF see
>      http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/jrf
>
>    View = Velocity see
>      http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/index.html
>
>    Controller = ActionServlet see
>      http://dione.zcu.cz/~toman40/ActionServlet/
>
> Our Database is Firebird see http://www.firebirdsql.com using the new
> Java_Client.
>
> We got all layers working fully together with some unit tests, we were
> also able to integrate the HTML Trees from Melati
> (http://www.melati.org). We designed a huge amount of the user interface
> and still had time for learning Extreme Programming by doing it. What is
> more we also had some great food (Tim, was that a whole sheep?) and company.
>
> Our thanks to everyone involved in these great open source projects as
> well as all the others we use in this project (above and beyond our
> complete GNU/Linux systems). That includes
>
>    Ant for building see http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html
>
>    JUnit for unit tests see http://www.junit.org
>
>    Jikes as our compiler see http://www.jikes.org
>
> If you would like to know more as either a contributor or user about
> VisibleResults (which is a GPL'd Fundraising Application for charities
> and a more general Contact Management System) then I would love to hear
> from you.
>
> Regards
>
> Dave Warnock
> Managing Director