Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/29 19:37:02 UTC

Connector/openejb progress/heads up

I have most of the new j2ca connector functionality working ok, and finding out whether the rest of it works requires mdbs.  So I'm going to work on getting openejb running in trunk.

Currently there's a bit of a fight between an osgi extender that registers openejb services set up openejb-style and the same functionality set up through gbeans.  Right now I'm dealing with this by disabling the gbean.  I can see 3 choices here...

1. disable all the openejb configuration functionality and just use gbeans.  This is fairly awkward but what we've been doing so far.  I think it tends to obscure some openejb configuration possibilities, but maybe not too seriously.

2. configure openejb using blueprint or xbean-blueprint.  Or write a new blueprint namespace handler that deals with the openejb multilevel property files.

3. hook up openejb's native configuration system to osgi config admin.

Any thoughts?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Connector/openejb progress/heads up

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:37 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have most of the new j2ca connector functionality working ok, and finding out whether the rest of it works requires mdbs.  So I'm going to work on getting openejb running in trunk.
>
> Currently there's a bit of a fight between an osgi extender that registers openejb services set up openejb-style and the same functionality set up through gbeans.  Right now I'm dealing with this by disabling the gbean.  I can see 3 choices here...

There shouldn't be any conflict. The EjbDaemonGBean just configures
the properties for the openejb server services. The openejb extender
tracks these server services. The EjbDaemonGBean & openejb extender
work together or at least they used to.

Initially when I worked on the openejb server services, I was thinking
of using config admin to configure the server service properties. That
way, the openejb services could be configured in the same way when
running openejb inside or outside of Geronimo.

Jarek

Re: Connector/openejb progress/heads up

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 29, 2010, at 2:58 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:37 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> I have most of the new j2ca connector functionality working ok, and finding out whether the rest of it works requires mdbs.  So I'm going to work on getting openejb running in trunk.
>>
>> Currently there's a bit of a fight between an osgi extender that registers openejb services set up openejb-style and the same functionality set up through gbeans.  Right now I'm dealing with this by disabling the gbean.  I can see 3 choices here...
>>

>> 1. disable all the openejb configuration functionality and just use gbeans.  This is fairly awkward but what we've been doing so far.  I think it tends to obscure some openejb configuration possibilities, but maybe not too seriously.
>>
>> 2. configure openejb using blueprint or xbean-blueprint.  Or write a new blueprint namespace handler that deals with the openejb multilevel property files.
>>
>> 3. hook up openejb's native configuration system to osgi config admin.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand the implications of the second two options, but generally I'm on board with anything that works for Geronimo and still allows OpenEJB to function in other scenarios without OSGi.
>
> Just for simplicity sake it would be nice to do things in the Geronimo way, but I get the feeling we're still figuring that out in reference to OSGi.  In which case, this might be a good use case for exploring that Geronimo-way question.
>
> What are we going to be doing in regards to Jetty/Tomcat/ActiveMQ configuration?

jetty - at the moment, gbean configurations... not thrilled with it or native jetty configuration
tomcat - custom jaxb processing of server.xml
activemq - xbean-blueprint (the reason for the existence of xbean-blueprint)

david jencks

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.