Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Camilleri <ca...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/08 20:51:24 UTC

[NEWBIE] Separate tomcat engines on the same physical server

It is my understanding that theoretically, separate Tomcat engines can be
configured on the same server, as long as they are created within separate
JVMs (is it possible to have them installed on the same physical server?!).

We have an application which is currently installed within a single Tomcat
instance (i.e. different sub-folders within /webapps); this would
theoretically be moved within separate Tomcat instances so as to have
redundancy in case one of them crashes.   Since we're planning to configure
clustering, this might be superfluous, but more robust anyway.

Hence, is it feasible to have:

-          Server 1 installed with Tomcat instance #1 and Tomcat instance #2
over JVM #1

-          Server 2 installed with Tomcat instance #1 and Tomcat instance #2
over JVM #2

What are your views on this?  Any relevant documentation on configuring them
this way?

Rgds,

Jonathan Camilleri

Mobile (MT): 00356 7982 7113

E-mail: camilleri.jon@gmail.com

-----

 P "Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail"

I usually reply to e-mails within 2 business days.  If it's urgent, give me
a call.

-----

Re: [NEWBIE] Separate tomcat engines on the same physical server

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: [NEWBIE] Separate tomcat engines on the same physical server

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Jon Camilleri [mailto:camilleri.jon@gmail.com]
> Hence, is it feasible to have:
>
> - Server 1 installed with Tomcat instance #1 and
> Tomcat instance #2 over JVM #1
>
> - Server 2 installed with Tomcat instance #1 and
> Tomcat instance #2 over JVM #2

If by JVM you mean "the files installed to support Java on the computer", yes.  One Java installation can support many concurrent processes running Java.

If by JVM you mean "one process running Java", no.  Each Tomcat must run in its own process.

> What are your views on this?

I've successfully run up to three Tomcats on the same machine, as three processes, all with the same JAVA_HOME.  It's a good way of providing isolation between applications, or even Tomcat versions (I was running two 5.0.x, one 5.5.x).

> Any relevant documentation on configuring them this way?

See the file RUNNING.txt in the Tomcat zip you download.  There's a section at the end on running multiple Tomcats on the same box.  Setup can get a little interesting if you're running on Windows and want both processes to start as services, but even that's entirely possible to configure.

                - Peter