Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/06 14:45:04 UTC

Change in archive structure

Hello,

The archives which are now show as in calender. There are some
shortcoming of that is we can't see the whole list of blogs month and
year wise.
There can have some sort of tree structure or we can have some different
macro, so we can redesign the archives page as user want.

Tree Structure

 >2013
     >Jan
         >Blog1
         >Blog2
     >March
 >2013
     >April
         >Blg4

Thanks
Gaurav

Re: Change in archive structure

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Glen,

I got your point about the macro should not be heavily customized. The
point I was mentioning was that, In the tree structure I have to sort
the blogs by date (like first yearly then monthly) and in velocity I am
having difficulty in sorting the blog list by date. In Java I think
Collections.sort can help us out in this. I was thinking of class, as
the #showWeblogEntryCalendar macro produce the html in java in table
format. If I can sort by date in Java and then call that method in the
macro.

The JavaScript/html part come in at last, after we have the sorted list
by date. Then we can pass each entry in html with javascript for showing
it like tree structure.

Thanks
Gaurav

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

> [...]

>>> shelf life, and doesn't "punish" a blogger who maintains his older
>>> entries instead of just entering in new entries.
>>>
>>> The blog archive page is probably seldom used today (you may be
>>> better off removing it), the tree view you're contemplating might be
>>> better in a side menu of a blog (just like here:
>>> http://coheigea.blogspot.com/ [1]).  A macro that would provide the
>>> data allowing something like [1] to be constructed would be a nice
>>> enhancement to Roller (but, actually, we may already be able to
>>> support that--I'm not sure.)  Patches to Roller JIRA welcome.
>>>
>>> The current archive page *could* be useful if you're always blogging
>>> about a particular topic on a certain day of the week. If Wednesdays
>>> you're always blogging about X and Fridays always Y a calendar view
>>> does a better job of allowing someone to get to all "X" or "Y"
>>> articles better than the tree view in [1].

*Gaurav Saini*
/Developer, Digital Marketing and Pursuing B.Tech/
/Viithiisys Technologies/
/Email: gauravsaini03@gmail.com, gaurav.saini@viithiisys.com/
/Mobile: +91-9915346686/

Re: Change in archive structure